· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

Default Adding to a social group

0 Not allowed!
    Please share your thoughts and experiences regarding adding new members to a group of social fish.

Do you try to add in enough newbies so that they are comfortable within their own little group?

In other words, say if you have 13 Rummynose Tetras and wish to increase your total. Would you make additions in a minimum group size of 5-6, just so they would still be relaxed if they don't immediately join up with your original shoal?
    (I've never added to my Rummynose count, but that example is just for discussion purposes. This is not in my immediate plan.)

Specifically, I am looking to add to my Cherry Barbs. I have done so before, but not always with success. I do suppose that the personality of the individual CB has a part to play.
    There was a lone female that I added by herself and she did quite well with it all. In thinking back about her in particular, she was quite outgoing, friendly. She is our long-finned CB (named Blossom) and we also have Annette. Those are my only 2 females, though and I would like to adjust the ratio. I have 2 male CB as well. So my total CB is 2M and 2F. (and yes, they would harass another male.)

The ideal ratio for Cherry Barbs is 1M:2F.
    Past attempts to correct the ratio were done a good while back. In 2015 -- Aug and again in Nov of the same year:
    I've added in a lone female before that did not work out. The other CBs did not accept her and she just never did thrive or grow. I thought it was perhaps due to adding one by herself (she was all I could find at that time). The next attempt, waiting until there were 3 together, I had high hopes. However, these 3 were so very tiny. They also remained excluded from the original CB group and just withered away one by one.

I'm really not sure if this is more of a Cherry Barb specific thing, or if it is more a generalized social fish thing. So, I'm open to both fixes.

I'm looking for thoughts or suggestions that you are willing to share.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 03-08-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I don't see a problem with adding just 2 more, but I've never kept CB's
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    I would add 8 more so that they have a choice to stay within their group or merge with another. You can't force fish from different shoals to form one big shoal.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    I've added small numbers to groups without any issues in the past (not cherry barbs, though). I've sometimes underestimated and may add say 7 fish, only to realize later that maybe 10-12 would work nicely. So I've gone back to get 3 or 4 more. I've done this with pencilfish, chilis, ruby tetras. Or if a particular school starts to dwindle that I want to maintain, I'll increase the numbers rather than let the whole school die out. I've done this with silver tip tetras and WCMM. Planning to do this also with my diamond tetras when available at my LFS.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    I have added to groups the same way and some come together and other just like to be alone. When I moved the espies fro the 20L to the 75 I added another 6 to their group and 5-of the 6 joined the others as soon as they got bigger and are part of the group, I have one loaner that likes to stay by my little anubias on suction cup in the front-dunno why. My rainbows are good at forming their own mini-groups within the tank so I can have 2 or 3 of them going one. It depends on the fish and I think the age. When I got more emperor tetras they were bitty babies and grouped with the rainbows and endler fry until they got bigger are one day realized they were Emperors and what are they doing swimming with the commoners! The group of 6 emperors I have now are between swimming with the rainbows-or finding their own kind to hang around with.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Since Cherry barbs are not tight schoolers like some cypriniformes and characins you would be good to add 6-8 at one time so they have their own group that they are already familiar with.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC. - Slaphppy7   A cory to get you started! - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   Another cory never hurt! :P - AmazonJoe   Yet another pleco to deal with, lol - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks for this. I'm glad to see this discussion, since am looking to add to my own school of cherry barbs.
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him