· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help needed on a biological filter

0 Not allowed!
    I have a cascade 600 and whant to make a good biology filter have Ceremic rings and sponge the original one from cascade and the active carbon how do i set dis up plead help

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   

4 Not allowed!
    I'd ditch the carbon unless you want to remove tannins from any driftwood that's leaching in your tank, or if you have medication that needs to be removed. I just started using a little carbon to get rid of tannins from a new piece of driftwood that I added a little over a month ago and once it's done leaching (if it ever does) I'm removing the carbon. IF you choose to use carbon then replace it at least once a month. It will eventually start leaching toxins back into the water.

I would use the ceramic rings in place of where the carbon cartridge goes. Those filters suck water from the bottom and pushes it out the top so the sponge should go in first.

Not sure what else you are asking, but if I didn't cover it then let me know.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, Marble Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gouramis, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Corydoras panda, GB Rams
    * Fluval Spec V
    - 3 fancy guppies, 1 Serpae Tetra, 1 Black Phantom Tetra
    - planted w/ Vals and Crypts
    * Fluval Spec V
    - 3 fancy guppies, 2 Serpae Tetras
    - planted w/ Water Onions and Crypts

1 Not allowed!
    Hi thank will take out the carben and replace it with the ring will leve the carbon in the cascade 300 hob for the drift wood thank for the help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Remove the carbon and add more ceramic rings in place of the carbon.

0 Not allowed!
    On the carbon do i have to take it out in all my fillers my 300 hob is about a month old i have no clue on hoe to remove the carbon from the cartridges it self i see i can bay a new cartridges for it is there a Nader way of doing it i live in a smaal town in South Africa and the lfs don't have cartridges for the 300 sorry for the long message

0 Not allowed!
    Or what media is there i can bay from amazon that Will work for a 2 months period or do i bay every month the cartridges for the carbon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    What filter has cartridges? The cascade 600?
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    Ok I think you mean the HOB one. No you don't need to get cartridges-they are a waste of money. What you can do is turn the inside of the HOB into a mini canister filter with a little work. First does the 600 and 300 both work on the same tank? If yes then you can toss the cartrige and use ceramic media for the bacteria to grow on and a sponge media for mechanical filtration.

See how this HOB is set up?
    download (4).jpg

They have the sponge on the bottom as the mechanical filtration because in this HOB the water flows into the chamber from the bottom, then they have a small bag of ceramic media for the bacteria to grow on. No carbon is needed, unless you are removing chemicals from a medicated tank.

You can do this to your HOB filter too. Some mechanical media you can use are blue bonded filter pads, coarse sponges, even poly-quilting batting (in sheets)

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Flo-Aqua...chanical+media
    61x2Lm9uLNL._SL1184_.jpg

The poly-fil should be acrylic and in sheets-not loose stuffing:
    Large_0365304.jpgdownload (5).jpg

Biological media is all over Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ological+media

The first 3 are good choices

Attachment 50912

Just want to put them in a loose bag so that they are contained for maintenance but water can easily flow through them. Something like this will work.

5139P93+HTL.jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 03-07-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cascade 600 is an internal filter and the 300 is a HOBF? Bottom line is that you probably don't need carbon in either of the filters. I would use the ceramic rings in both filters if possible. For the HOBF, I would take an old cartridge frame and wrap sheet polyfil quilt batting around it to use for mechanical filtration while keeping the sponge for added biofiltration. You don't need to buy new cartridges for the HOBF.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi tanks to all on de cascad the water flows in a bug chamber then it flows in the firs pad that is up right horizon if i put a spong in the bottom the water will nor flow in it it will flow on top and as the chamber get full it flow over in the biotray sorry if i can't explain it probably on the picture Boundava sowed me of a hob sorry if am rhong bat hoe is the water going to flow into the spong if its flowing on top of the spong