· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Need help with the compatibility of my tank <3

0 Not allowed!
    So I've always just stuck to Beta fish but few months ago I moved my Beta into a 2 Gallon from a 20 Gallon (He's still happy). Went to Petco and was instantly in love with 3 Golden Panda Mollys (1 boy 2 girls).. I wanted more life in my tank so I went back and they said I should stick the the Molly family because of the size of my tank, so I got 3 Dalmatian Molly (1 boy 2 girls), Red Baloon Molly (1 boy 1 girl) and a male Sunset Sailfin Molly(they were out of females still wondering if I should buy 2 more girls for him he seems to be happy though.) But, I ended up buying a 40 gallon because I wanted more varieties of fish so I began to do that. I also began going to a local fish place (WAY BETTER THEN PETCO)

So, I have a 40 gallon stocked with live plants and plenty of hiding places, keep the temperature at ~78, got a filter, bubble thingy, and also have already had my water checked.
    - 9 Molly (4 Boys/5 Girls)
    - 3 Eastern Rainbow (2 Boy 1 Girl)
    - 15 Neon Tetras
    - 5 Golden Barbs
    - 1 Neon Gourami (male)
    - 2 Pearl Gourami (males)

There has been no issues besides one of my Molly females picking on the gouramis so I put her on time out for a bit then put her back in after 5 hours and shes not bothering them now. The Neon Gourami was in the tank first, and he was hiding under the rocks at first but swims all over the tank now and ignores the other fish, the Pearl Gouramis I got today being pretty shy still, one is hugging the top corner of the tank and the other is hiding behind some rocks, I'm hoping they'll soon get use to their new surroundings and become a bit more active. I haven't noticed any fish picking at them yet and if they is I put them on time out in the 20 gallon.

So generally I read its a bit risky putting different types of Gouramis together so sorta just looking for opinions on that and generally what sort of fishes I should add or subtract, I can always take them back or if need be restock my old 20 gallon and put Mollys in there(I currently have 2 Molly fry in there taking them to the local fish store once they are bigger.)

I'm pretty new to all this so let me know if I've already made mistakes, it never occurred to me I should look to other sources then just one persons opinion at Petco until I already had all the Mollys. Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    As far as the Gouramis, I am not familiar with the neon. I guess that you can wait and watch how they interact with each other before making a change.

I do have to ask how long has this tank been running? You said that you " have already had the water checked". Does this mean that you just set this tank up or that you cycled the tank?

Are you prepared for LOTS of Molly's once they start having hundreds of babies? What is your plan for them?

And to AC.
    Last edited by Silbar; 03-06-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC, good ?'s and advice above.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I have merged your two threads, since they concern the same thing.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've had the 40 gallon up for about 2 weeks now, if i can catch the babies I put them in a separate tank until they are big enough for me to take to the LFS, so far everyone is fine the pearl gouramis are together at the top of the tank and the dwarf neon gourami swims around the whole the tank but goes into hiding every now and then but is usually at the bottom of the tank...

I'd like to add more fish but not sure what I might be able to do with what I already have or if I should move the mollys, just looking for any suggestions :3