· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Does my betta have epilepsy??

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so I've had my betta Dog since mid-August and lately he's been acting kind of weird. He'll sit in the front right corner of his tank (it's an open spot, there's just gravel there), and just start freaking out. It's hard to describe and of course he won't do it when I try to record him, but he'll flail around on his side, sometimes hitting the wall, then do a flip and swim away like nothing happened. I don't think there's anything wrong with his swim bladder as he swims fine otherwise, but sometimes he just freaks out. He's in a tank with 2 mystery snails and a nerite (I'm slowly sizing up but my dorm is only so large), and he seems to get along with them just fine, so I don't think that's a concern. I'll try to get a video of him acting like a spaz if I can. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC, a few questions for you:

What size tank is this?

Did you cycle the tank before adding him?

What are your ph, ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte readings?

How often do you perform water changes?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

3 Not allowed!
    Slaphppy7 raises some valid concerns. Just quickly though, it sounds like your betta could be seeing its reflection in the glass of the tank and, territorial as bettas are, trying to fight it. You could try changing the location/ambient lighting around the tank and see if that makes a difference.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He's in a 2.5 which I know is small but I can't size him up for a while, and this is a new development. I'm trying to get to my LFS to get testing supplies but I'm a broke college student trying to provide for her aquatic babies. I considered he may be seeing his reflection, but when I held a mirror up to him to test the theory he didn't care at all. I literally could not get him to flare, move around, anything. He's always been a little quirky, but nothing about his setup has changed since he started doing this. He can't see his brother Ravioli across the desk, his tank setup is the same as always, the snails haven't been picking on him. Actually neither fish will flare no matter what I do. I'll try and post some pictures of them and their tanks for reference.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Snapchat-1931260242.jpg

This is Dog, the crowntail is Ravioli. On a sidenote, does anyone know what type of betta he may be? I don't know enough to say for sure.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just for you - mac   Things will get better. - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Hrmm... I think dog is some sort of delta tail, could also be a half moon... sorry it's a bit hard to tell without a photo of them fully flairing. I'm sorry to hear about your betta's strange activity... maybe try clearing the space he is in (from the photo I saw some API bottles and such) maybe he is seeing them as something threatening? Strange but it may help, my betta hated the color black, even the temperature probe would make him flair up like no tomorrow. On that note tho slap does have a very good question how often do you do water changes? And how much do you change each time?
    5-Gallon - One lucky little yellow CT betta.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    They both appear stressed to me, most likely the result of ammonia poisoning from being kept in uncycled tanks, I'm afraid.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just for you - mac   Things will get better. - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    They both appear stressed to me, most likely the result of ammonia poisoning from being kept in uncycled tanks, I'm afraid.
    Ahh that could definitely be part of it. Upon looking back, I didn't see any filtration or heating on the tanks, bettas are cold blooded and their metabolism functions it's best at temperatures around 75-80 Fahrenheit. And while bettas often get blown around in a strong current I'd recommend a sponge filter, or biweekly water changes... (on a side note sponge filters won't run you too too much wallet wise)

Good luck with everything!
    5-Gallon - One lucky little yellow CT betta.