· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

Default Help needed for ID and treatment/adjustsments

0 Not allowed!
    I've been battling this for some time now (since December). I believe it to be diatoms but from everything I've read I'm having doubts. It's color is mainly brown and it makes everything slick.

I took every bit of rock and decorations out last Sunday when I did my weekly 50% W/C. Everything was scrubbed down with hot tap water and placed back in the tank. Fastfoward to today and this is what the rocks look like now. As you can see in the photo's, it's coming back yet again.

I only feed once daily what the fish can consume within a few minutes. My test readings before a W/C are.... Nitrates - 15, Nitrates - 0, Ammonia -0, PH -7.2

Lightning is 2hrs Actenics, 6 1/2hrs white, and 6hrs Actenics again, all from a Beamswork 6500k LED light (0.5w leds).

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong or what I can try? Maybe this is normal?

20170227_214527.jpg20170227_214522.jpg
    Last edited by Law Dog; 02-28-2017 at 05:47 AM.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

0 Not allowed!
    *BUMP

109 views and no suggestions? This post must've fell through the cracks.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd leave the white turned on longer.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They got it done, yay! ;-) - Taurus   Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    If it's diatoms, many times they'll go away on their own, once the silicates from the substrate lessen through WC's....but, you could have silicates in your water source as well
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a rummynose for your tank - Silbar   For your good taste in music ;-) - steeler58   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    If it rubs off fairly easy its diatoms. Which is what it looks like. A toothbrush is an awesome tool.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    It looks like diatoms to me, too. They are so tiny that if you brush them off in the water they will still float around and settle on the surfaces again. I am still dealing with them in my 75G that was set up last Summer. It completely covers the leaves of my anubias and I wipe them off with each WC when the water level is down. Keep vacuuming the substrate surface. Wipe off the glass that is above the water line right after you have removed water at WC time but before you refill. Try to keep the diatoms from floating back into the water. Keep you filters clean, too.
    I also had this problem in another tank for about a year and it was after all the cleanings and adding some otos that it finally is gone. Good luck.
    BTW, I have also tested my tap and tank water for silicates and they have the same results of "5".
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    When I notice diatoms in my tanks, I add nerite snails. They really do a great job at keeping diatoms under control, as diatoms are their favorite food and they are great nutrition for their shells. I still get diatoms in my low light tank, but I'll take diatoms over other types of algae that are harder to remove IME.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    I appreciate the responses and suggestions gang! The tank was neglected for awhile but I've stayed on top of it since the end of November. I'm going to try each suggestion and report back.

I usually only clean my canister filter every 3-4 months but I'll change that to 2 months. My HOB gets cleaned every 2 weeks. I don't vacuum the gravel as much as I should (maybe 2x's a year) so I'll start doing that more often. I never thought about wiping the glass down before adding new water!

Thanks!
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They got it done, yay! ;-) - Taurus   Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    These things work great for cleaning your glass, just be sure you use the "Original", it contains no detergents

eraser.jpg
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    As I did a water change today, I noticed I wipe/rub the algae and diatoms off my plant leaves and anything that can't be removed for cleaning with my siphon ready to suck up the loosened particles. You could remove decor like rocks and wipe them down outside the tank. Use old tank water to rinse them if you want to preserve nitrifying bacteria. I wipe down the glass the same way Silbar explained, and the glass beneath the water line, I wipe keeping my sponge against the glass until it's out of the water. I can clearly see diatoms on my sponge and I rinse it everytime the sponge comes out of the water in a jug of old tank water. I rinse my HOB filter media in the same jug during a WC each week.

Diatoms aren't actually an algae, but the exoskeleton of microorganisms, which gives it that dust-like texture.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat