· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on your cycle! - Boundava   Congrats on your new fish! - Silbar   

Default DIY 3D Background

0 Not allowed!
    Have any of you made your own background? I did out of styrofoam board and colored mortar. I was happy with it until one day I had to scrub an algae buildup off it. While I was doing it, the water turned a brownish color. I couldn't tell if that was from the algae or background. To be cautious, I decided to shut down the tank and remove the background.

Have you used a sealer on your background? I've read that some do and some don't.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    A few members here have done so -- with fabulous results.
    Off the top of my head:

Member Boundava made one, it is now in her 75 gallon tank, if you wish to search the journal (be warned it is long)
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...11#post1271411

If you go to her profile, she has posted photos of her background-making process:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...er.php?u=56118

Also
    WhistlingBadger (in one of his tanks -- I think it is a 55 gallon, but might be miss-remembering)
    journal:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...24#post1340524
    profile:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...er.php?u=38656

(hopefully these links all work now)
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 02-23-2017 at 12:04 AM. Reason: still trying to add links

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Trivia Contest - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on your cycle! - Boundava   Congrats on your new fish! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for that

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    You are most welcome. Please do let us know what you decide on, for your tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    You are most welcome. Please do let us know what you decide on, for your tank.
    I'm most likely going to put that background away and do another one for a future tank. I have learned a lot since I did that one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry Ritchie, I just saw this thread. I am planing on building a bunch of them for my future tanks. I used extruded styro (home insulation), silicon for adhesive, a masonry sealer called Drylok (latex version in white), hot knife and some other tools for carving, and acrylic paint for the finishing pigment or you can use cement pigments. Benefit with the Drylok is that its pH neutral once fully cured, and it is waterproof. You can do a light scrubbing on it and it is very durable-but I use nerite snails to clean the algae off it.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore