· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just for you - mac   Things will get better. - Silbar   

Post Is an airstone needed?

0 Not allowed!
    Tank specs: Marineland ML90609 5-Gallon, Black sand, medium drift wood, one seven inch tall anubias, four bundles of dwarf anubias, a handful of amazon frogbit, and one lucky little yellow CT betta.

BETTA TANK.jpg

Weekly water changes of 50%. Tank temp at 80F. The filter by itself was too strong so I covered the output with a piece of aquarium sponge, fixed the problem right up. We get just enough surface movement to not have stagnated top water. That being said, should I add an airstone to the tank to help with gas exchanges?(would that disturb my betta too much?) Thanks for the help!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to AC,

Very nice Betta tank. Looks super cool.

Bettas are anabantoids, meaning they are able to breath atmospheric air.
    As long as you have surface agitation and steady current like it sounds like then your perfectly fine.

Do you have a master test kit?? API is what most of us on here use.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for the speedy and helpful response! :D I’m currently just using the API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips https://www.amazon.com/Mars-Fishcare...est%2Bkit&th=1
    When I started my tank I was able to get some cycled media from a friend's aquarium; then I ran the tank for a week before adding my fish. So far the test strips haven’t said anything was amiss. Although hell I’m paranoid haha (just added the master kit to my cart).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainByMoonlight View Post
    Thank you so much for the speedy and helpful response! :D I’m currently just using the API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips https://www.amazon.com/Mars-Fishcare...est%2Bkit&th=1
    When I started my tank I was able to get some cycled media from a friend's aquarium; then I ran the tank for a week before adding my fish. So far the test strips haven’t said anything was amiss. Although hell I’m paranoid haha (just added the master kit to my cart).
    You may not notice anything for the first couple weeks, as you just started the tank. Keep an eye on the NitrItes especially as they snipe you even if you aren't noticing any Ammonia in the tank.

Also being paranoid is good...being OCD...depends on how OCD you are :D.

Beautiful tank.

20 gal tall - Helios - HM Betta Male (obtained around 03/2016), 1 zebra nerite, 8-10 cherry shrimp, 1-2 amano shrimp, Java Moss and crypto planted tank w/ Driftwood and Spider Wood

l

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Tank is probably not fully cycled, get that liquid test kit, and follow the directions here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

That's a pretty beta, he's splayed out like a peacock, lol

Welcome to the AC.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Cory Catfish   ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   you need some more fish :) - Vip3r   have a ram... - Vip3r   and a salvini - Vip3r   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Tank is probably not fully cycled, get that liquid test kit, and follow the directions here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

That's a pretty beta, he's splayed out like a peacock, lol

Welcome to the AC.
    You know that picture could be submitted for March's Photo of the Month (POTM) or Tank of the month (TOTM). One of the boards is set aside for those submissions. Also you can ask slap if you have any further questions.

20 gal tall - Helios - HM Betta Male (obtained around 03/2016), 1 zebra nerite, 8-10 cherry shrimp, 1-2 amano shrimp, Java Moss and crypto planted tank w/ Driftwood and Spider Wood

l

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    HOOOO GOSH (panic is rising)
    Do you think API's Quick start Would help the cycling at all? (probably not a 100% fix but...) and (POTM)? I'll be sure to check it out!
    Don't go throwing chemicals in, stay the course...main thing is, we need that liquid test kit

Study that link I gave you closely

Also, what conditioner did you use?...this stuff is the best, IMO

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-11604.../dp/B00025694O
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-18-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The test kit is on its way, will probably just do water changes every other day till it arrives...

I've been using API Tap Water Conditioner Will deffinitly read up on that article.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I replied as you in post #7 above, lol...the magic of editing...haven't seen that happen yet, but it was my fault, apologies

The API is fine for now, get the Prime when you run out
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers