· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

to hold you overuntil you get your blue ram - fishmommie   

Default Fishless Cycle Ammonia Amounts

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!

I'm currently in the middle of a fishless cycle on my second tank :) I seeded the filter with media from my well established, healthy tank, and my ammonia readings are going from 4ppm to 0 in less than 24 hours. My question is, should I keep dosing it to 4ppm to keep the ammonia bacteria well fed while waiting for nitrites to drop, or should I reduce the amount of ammonia? Nitrites are holding steady around 2ppm despite the amount of ammonia I've been adding, and nitrates are continuing to rise.

Also, would it hurt to add more media from my other tank, to speed up this stage of the cycle?

It is a 36 gallon bowfront that will have 8 cory cats (yes, I have sand), around 14 rummynose tetras, and one betta (to be added later after the rest are comfortable in the tank).

Thanks for any and all input!
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 blue guorami, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

29 gallon dwarf puffer tank

36 gallon bowfront: Currently 7 rummynose tetras, 7 neon tetras, 3 panda cory cats, 3 julii cory cats. Soon to have a betta!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Once you registered nitrItes, you should have reduced the ammonia dosing by 1/2, per the fishless cycling sticky in the beginner section.

No harm done, though...what's the current trIte reading?
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-15-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ok, I will reduce it by 1/2, thank you.

NitrItes are currently staying around 2ppm, while ammonia continues to drop to 0 in less than 24 hours. So clearly I have some of the nitrIte using bacteria, since they're not rising after the ammonia is converted.
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 blue guorami, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

36 gallon bowfront: Currently 7 rummynose tetras, 7 neon tetras, 3 panda cory cats, 3 julii cory cats. Soon to have a betta!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Dose 1/2 of your original ammonia amount every other day...or even every 3 days...and watch those trItes

You're getting close...

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ok, will do.

I know...so exciting :D

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind, the trIte "stage" can be the longest part of a fishless cycle...patience is key