· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    What about fishlove's red original discus with the cloudy eye and peeling skin? Just water changes as a treatment?

I would take it a step further, and do a 30-60 minute methylene blue bath for 7 days with kanaplex (1 scoop for 2.5 gallons). The kanaplex is to deal with any internal bacterial infection due to the peeling skin. I wouldn't do the bath in a glass tank since the meth blue will stain the silicon. A cooler would be best.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The meth blue bath.....Am I adding meth blue AND kanaplex? And use a cooler vs a tank? I'm assuming I'll just add some media from the main tank with a heater and then could someone explain this whole process? This is out of my league and I sure don't want to do more harm.
    In the midst of working everyday and trying to find supplies, should I just continue with daily WC until I quarantine my fish or should I start dosing the main tank with Melafix until then?
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Angelcraze..
    The only issues I'm noticing are the ones I've mentioned. The 4 new discus I added are still a little shy and eating occasionally. Nobody else is losing color or darkening.

My main concerns at this point are the royal red is peeling, cloudy eye and darkening (since the 50℅ WC yesterday his color started coming back around), also the cobalt with his flashing (but I haven't noticed a whole lot of that).

I was informed to add finely crushed garlic to some frozen blood worms to increase appetite. Does that sound right?
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Garlic is a good 'spice' for the fish, it improves the taste (entices fish to eat food) and also garlic can help keep parasites away. There's a product called GarlicGuard made by Seachem, but I just soak the food in garlic juice.

Ask Rocksor first, but I think you can dose the whole tank with Kanaplex, if used correctly, according to instructions, it shouldn't stump your notrogen cycle. I DID learn that you can use the two meds simultaneously though, if that's what you are asking.

For the Methelyne Blue bath, just find a clean soap-free container like a rubbermaid bin or cooler. (Meth Blue will stain the silicone in an aquarium and destroys the nitrogen cycle, so DON'T use it in the main tank) That also tells us that there's no need for cycled media while your discus is in the bath, but to lessen the stress on your discus, use old water from the tank so that the parameters are close. Add 10 drops of MB per gallon of water or 1 tsp per 10 gallons (however much you fill the container). Gently net your discus out and let him settle down in the bath for 30-60 mins. You are changing out water daily from the main tank, so you can use that water in the container and add MB.
    Not sure how to keep the temperature consistent, an extra heater would be great, but not everyone has that. Hopefully Rocksor will have a safe idea.
    Then after letting your discus relax in the bath, gently move him/her back to the main tank by gently netting it. It's ok if a few meth blue droplets are added to the tank with your net.

This is the link Rocksor gave me for using Methelyne Blue, I found it very helpful. Skip down the MB subheading
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts....dication3.html
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 02-16-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    I use double the dosage of meth blue for a bath, which is 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons (1ml per gallon). It doesn't have to be accurate, and can be a little more. I don't put a heater in the bath, since 30-60 minutes is a relatively short period. But then again the room that I do it in is not less than 65F. If the container is a semi-transparent tub, I cover the tub so that it is dark, and it helps to calm the fish.

You can use kanaplex for the whole tank if you want, but that get's expensive.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    And covering the container for a little darkness will help keep the temperature consistent :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my gosh, you guys have no idea how thankful I am for all your help. :) :) :)

Just got home from work a little while ago, going to get some late dinner and do my 50% WC as planned. The royal red has good color right now but he's breathing out of one gill now. :'( I feel horrible but it's late, I'm exhausted and I have to be up at 4am for work tomorrow. After work tomorrow, I'm stopping at the store to pick up some methylene blue, a rubbermaid container or similar for the bath, and Poly Fil for both tanks so I can toss the carbon and sponges. Gosh I can't wait to never have to rinse those things again...

Anyway....Is there a specific brand of MB to use? I keep seeing the brand "Kordon". Does it matter? Even though the fish will only be in the bath 30-60 min, is it necessary to add an air stone for oxygenation? I also have to ask.....30-60 min? Why such a range? Does it just depend on how the fish are handling it? I apologize, this process just makes me a little nervous. Never thought I'd own fish that I'd be giving "baths" to, with medication or dyes, nonetheless.

Do you add the water to the container, then add the fish and then the MB? Or do you have the MB in the water "before" adding the fish?

Once the bath is done and the fish is back in the tank I can treat with Kanaplex?? For how long do I do this? Are WC's necessary and when? I apologize once again, as this is way out of my league.

I thank you guys all sooooo very much!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I forgot I wanted to also ask....
    Can I put the 2 discus in the bath at the same time? This would be.....the royal red with the peeling skin/cloudy eye and the cobalt that is flashing...or would I do their baths separate? Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'll explain my experience, and try to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by fishlove View Post
    Anyway....Is there a specific brand of MB to use? I keep seeing the brand "Kordon". Does it matter?
    I used Kordon's MB. The dosage instructions were for Kordon.

Quote Originally Posted by fishlove
    Even though the fish will only be in the bath 30-60 min, is it necessary to add an air stone for oxygenation? I also have to ask.....30-60 min? Why such a range? Does it just depend on how the fish are handling it? I apologize, this process just makes me a little nervous. Never thought I'd own fish that I'd be giving "baths" to, with medication or dyes, nonetheless.
    Not 100% sure, but I believe the meth blue increases oxygen intake through the gills, so I don't think an air stone is necessary. I do keep an eye on the fish, but you can't see them clearly since they are in a container (not a glass tank) and the water will be dyed blue, but I try to notice their level of stress displayed through their behaviour. When I treated my fish this way, she just settled in the container, nothing alarmed me, so I would leave him/her in the bath for as long as you can manage up to 60 mins. Minimum would be 30 mins. I know it's very time consuming, just keep in mind that it's going to be a busy week. Things will calm down eventually. I felt the exact same way when I did it.

Do you add the water to the container, then add the fish and then the MB? Or do you have the MB in the water "before" adding the fish?
    I added the MB beforehand and stirred it easily to mix.

Once the bath is done and the fish is back in the tank I can treat with Kanaplex?? For how long do I do this? Are WC's necessary and when? I apologize once again, as this is way out of my league.
    See? I didn't think about the water changes, it would be too expensive to treat the whole tank since only one fish is showing bacterial issues. What Rocksor said. Treat Kanaplex plus MB in the bath. You'd have to treat the whole tank after every water change if you treat the tank. $$$$$ Still continue with 50% water changes and siphoning the substrate daily as much as you can manage this week. I wish you luck!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 02-17-2017 at 02:29 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    Meth blue will facilitate more oxygen to the fish and help in the healing process
    That was where I remembered about oxygen and MB. It was a quote to help me feel better about the whole bath process in one of my journals.
    -Kat