· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Wow! Some great helpful discussion here :)

Regarding substrate in a discus tank:
    I've debated this issue before and for a long time. I think mac hit the nail
    The advice imo you have mention Discus lover is actually very pertinent to proper care from beginners in the feild of discus.
    There is so much to learn about keeping discus, and experience really trumps anything anyone can tell you, so why make it more difficult to start and make that leap into keeping discus.

Quote Originally Posted by fishlove
    I wonder if the people that have gravel substrate with Discus are doing WC/maintenance as often as I currently am.
    But keeping discus in a sand substrate with plants can be done and is being done by experienced discus keepers, even the ones who advocate a bare-bottom tank for others. It's just much easier to learn about the demands of keeping discus first without ouside influences and takes the risk away from pathogens in the substrate causing issues while you are learning about keeping this demanding species. I also have found out that especially growing fish (juvies) benefit from a bb setup where daily WCs are being preformed and there is no unnecessary factors added to influence their development in a detrimental way. I simply just don't have to worry about water quality, which is very helpful when you have multiple grow out tanks.

For my show tank with adult angelfish, I have sword plants planted in glass 'pots'. That way I can keep the substrate cleaner with just a thin layer (I should have also used sand) I also keep potted swords in my large bb grow out tank because IMO I can't stand a completely barren tank, like to give the babies some shelter, and they seem to appreciate live plants. I can keep the tank just as clean as if the pots weren't there; they do not hinder keeping the bottom clean since I can simply slide the pots.

Because of this same discussion of substrate I had probably about a year ago, I have set up all my grow out tanks (for angelfish) as bare-bottom.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlove View Post
    Alright Paul, if this is what you suggest then do I just continue with my current 3 discus until they've reached the end of their lives before I get more? Or, maybe sell them and start over with some from Chicago Discus? I know Discus shouldn't be kept in smaller numbers than 5 or 6 so I'm not sure how long I could keep them happy with only 3.

I understand where you're coming from though. How unfortunate would that be to bring home some great fish, only to have them get sick because my original fish were sick. Then again, wouldn't you be safe if your "once sick" fish are now healthy?

Or, I go back to the previous supplier and get more there and hope for the best (considering I have so much money sitting at their store from the fish that have passed).
    I would just wait a good three to six months and make sure your existing discus are 100% healthy.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Alright Paul, if this is what you suggest then do I just continue with my current 3 discus until they've reached the end of their lives before I get more? Or, maybe sell them and start over with some from Chicago Discus? I know Discus shouldn't be kept in smaller numbers than 5 or 6 so I'm not sure how long I could keep them happy with only 3.

I understand where you're coming from though. How unfortunate would that be to bring home some great fish, only to have them get sick because my original fish were sick. Then again, wouldn't you be safe if your "once sick" fish are now healthy?

Or, I go back to the previous supplier and get more there and hope for the best (considering I have so much money sitting at their store from the fish that have passed).
    Firstly, based on all of the many posts you have entered here, fishlove, along with the descriptions you have supplied of your fish, their conditions, the pics you have provided, the meds you have given, not to mention the ongoing ill health (not eating) of at least one remaining fish, etc., I strongly suspect that your remaining fish (the lot of which, - I repeat - I believe were all unhealthy from the outset) will not become healthy no matter what you do, and I strongly suspect they will not last very much longer in any event - sad & regrettable - but there's no way for me to honestly sugar-coat this.

So IMHO candidly, I feel you should return the remaining 3 to the source you got them from (since you got credit for them) , or give them away, and begin over again with a group of discus you get from Chicago Discus (assuming you want to try discus again) - this in a newly set up tank environment - done the right way from the beginning.
    You could use some or all of the large credit you got from the source to get a new tank, equipment, etc. so that you would be starting out fresh in the best way possible.
    You may feel differently, and you may decide to give things more time (& not to worry about keeping only 3 - there has been no bullying or serious pecking order issues to date, and there likely will not be any in future) - but by all means do what you personally feel is best, and what you would feel most comfortable with. My best wishes go out to you.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 03-05-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    You are getting terrific advice in this thread, and I am learning from it as well.

There's really no surface agitation. I originally had the water flowing from the filter into the tank causing agitation. I had an issue earlier about my fish being possibly stressed from that and someone here suggested adding more water to the tank so the water was right at the spillway of the filter. Now as the water flows out of the filter, there are no more increased bubbles. It's sort of "wavy" as it flows across the top of the water.

Maybe I need to change that and lower the water level?
    I'll speak to this part only: The raised water level that you have is good. You want that 'wave across the surface' as that is what is providing optimal gas exchange for your tank. This is the sign of good surface agitation -- those rippling waves that flow across the surface.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post

This is the sign of good surface agitation -- those rippling waves that flow across the surface.

Thanks Rivers!
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Paul,
    First of all, I just want you to know how much I appreciate all your advice, really! No sugar coating, just the honest to goodness truth, from someone who has been keeping Discus for many many years. I truly appreciate your input and all the advice you have offered me ;)

You're right too. This is definitely something I will have to think about. First of all, I will take Kat's advice and wait a few months....see how things go. Maybe I can prove you wrong Paul. Ha ha....but ya know, maybe these fish are just doomed anyway. :'( It's sad to even think about really, but I can't stand the thought of getting rid of them either. They are like my pets. They are my pets. No, they're my family :) I don't know, call me crazy. I'm the crazy fish lady. Ha ha....

Seriously though, a lot to think about. You guys have all been so helpful. I'll keep ya all posted ;)
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Of course, you are welcome. It is my pleasure to offer any support or bit of helpfulness that I am able to.

There are so many members here that I have learned so very much from. It is the vast knowledge base that they have and share willingly here that give this site its depth.

I will share your hope for the full recovery of your fish. Your plan to not add more is a solid one. It is wonderful that you are willing to follow advice from those members who have experience with these fish.
    I feel that you can gift these discus a happy, healthier home than they surely would have had without you. Even when their lifespan is shortened due to poor quality control in breeding/raising -- all prior to your ownership of them -- they will still enjoy the rest of their days in the comfort of your care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    It is wonderful that you are willing to follow advice from those members who have experience with these fish.
    Of course. You guys have been around fish a heck of a lot longer than I have. ;) Also, I still do my own research and frequently find myself back here asking for advice if something doesn't quite seem right.

Thanks for all your support Rivers!