· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I would be little use in a location to order these fish from.

Different country.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

1 Not allowed!
    Well, about 1hr or so before my main light kicked off my drop checker turned green. Does this mean it will do that every day or will the tank retain some co2 the next day?

I work tomorrow so I briefed my wife on what to do if she observes the DC turn yellow, which is to turn the timer off. I hope the co2 is stabilized but only time will tell.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    You should try and aim for the 30 ppm (green) earlier in the day. that is the optimal level for the tank. To get that many start their CO@ an hour or so before the lights go on to build the CO@ in the tank to a level where the plants can start to utilize it right as the lights go on. They only use the CO2 with light. Why is that...well plants respire, they use CO2 during the day and release O2. At night they will take up O2 and release CO2. This is why many CO2 users have surface agitation working at night, to increase the gas exchange at the surface. CO2 failures (=fish stress/death) usually happened at night when the CO2 levels build and harm the fish.
    Last edited by Boundava; 03-13-2019 at 02:20 AM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

1 Not allowed!
    My goal is to have 30ppm when the lights kick on, but yesterday was the 1st full day of having the co2 on. I have the co2 timer set to come on at 10am, the 6.5k lights kick on at 11:15am, then the 10k FSpec at 11:45am. The 10k cut off at 6:15pm (5 1/2hrs of run time) while the 6.5k turns off at 6:30pm. I have the co2 shutting off at 6pm. As stated before, I currently have the co2 set around 3bbs.

I wish I didn't have to work today so I could monitor it. I checked the DC this morning and it was still mostly green with a hint of blue. Both of my canister filters point slightly up towards the water line so surface agitation should be plenty.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    It appears I have around 30ppm as the DC solution was still green when the lights went out. I'll still keep an eye on it the next few days, but it appears I nailed it in just over 1 day.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Went to my LFS today to see if they had any Otocinclus to help with what algae I have in my tank.....no luck, but said they should get some in next week. They are tank raised so they should be hardier than what I've read on wild caught. I looked at true SAE's but I really don't want them that big at adult hood. The Oto's are a lot better fit for what I need and stay small. I just hope I can still produce enough algae to keep 6 of them fed.

I also picked up a Ludwigia repens and Cryptocoryne wendtii red 'DeWitt'. Hopefully with my light intensity, ferts and co2 I can get them a nice red color. Both plants seem really healthy which is good because the LFS usually doesn't have healthy plants (they don't sell them fast).

I've also noticed that one of my mystery Crypts which I believe is Cryptocoryne wendtti 'Tropica' is turning RED! I'll have to post a pic of it soon, but all of the leaves that are under 2 months old have a very dark red tone to them now, while the older leaves are still a dark green.

All is still well with the co2 injection and it's still holding around 30ppm. I've noticed a decrease in the amount of slime algae, GSA and BBA since Tuesday when I started the co2. Well, not really a reduction of what I already have in the tank, but no noticeable increase from day to day like before.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    If you run out of algae you can supplement with veggies. I'm sure you'd rather do that than deal with algae issues in a planted tank lol.

I've been considering going to co2, but considering I've been struggling without it I think I'll wait till I feel more confident with a planted tank before jumping in. Might give me time to find a good deal on a used co2 system also!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnamefornow View Post
    If you run out of algae you can supplement with veggies. I'm sure you'd rather do that than deal with algae issues in a planted tank lol.

I've been considering going to co2, but considering I've been struggling without it I think I'll wait till I feel more confident with a planted tank before jumping in. Might give me time to find a good deal on a used co2 system also!
    My plan is to supplement the Oto's with veggies, and hopefully they'll graze on pellets as well. I initially planned to get 6 but the more I read up on them the more I learn that they like to be in larger groups, which tends to make them healthier. I'm thinking 10 now.

If you can find a used co2 system for cheap then that would be great. Not many people use co2 in my area so there's not much out there for sale. My LFS' hardly carry items for these systems. If you have a hard time finding a used setup then let me know and I'll tell you what I bought (minus my tank which I picked up from a Pepsi delivery driver years ago for free).
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Well, I had a slight setback yesterday. My Eheim Pro 4+ canister filter is out of commission for 1 week. For those that are unfamiliar with these filters, they have a quick disconnect on the hoses from the main body top/pump. I was completing a W/C and filter cleaning. Everything disconnected well, or so I thought. After the cleaning I went to connect the hoses back on to the unit and had no flow to the spray bar so I disconnected it and reconnected only to find out the 'adapter connection had failed and was now stuck in the closed position.

I really love this canister filter as it doesn't allow any water to bypass the media trays, BUT parts for it are not readily available at any of my LFS's. I had a choice to order the part from Germany (up to 2 weeks shipping) or from Flebay (1 week). So this friday the part should arrive. I just hope my tank has enough BB so I don't end up with a mini cycle.

On a better note, my plants have exploded with growth since the co2 injection was started. I now have to trim the ludwigia weekly and my Amazon Swords are nearly 16 inches tall. I'm still dealing with GSA and BBA but not as bad as it was. I may change the substrate in the coming weeks and spray all of the plants with hydrogen peroxide (3%) when I do. Hopefully that will kill the BBA for good.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear of the filter woes...the only canister filter I have is an Eheim Classic, and it hasn't given me any trouble in the 5 years it's been running

Hpw about a new FTS of your tank?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast