· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TexChuck View Post
    Soooo tank purchased !

My friendly LFS is good at the upsell, but I resisted much of the temptation. I ended up going with a 32g CoralLife Bio Cube. It's not as robust as some of the sump setups I saw, but it fits the space I have very well and should provide enough water volume for a shrimp and an urchin :)

The LFS also had a tiny urchin, Rainbow (?) I think is what he said, confirmed it was wild type, but I'll ask again the type. Anyhow he let my daughter hold it and she fell in love, so I think we're going to end up with a smaller less toxic urchin.

My calculations suggest ~30# of sand and 30# of live rock. I put the stand together today, and will finish the tank tonight/tomorrow. This week I'll go back to pick up the rock and water -- I figure for the initial cycle I'll use their water, and then figure out how to make salt water.

Before I put water in the thing, did I make a bad move going with the CoralLife 32gal cube?

Thank you !!
    I personally think you made a great decision going with CoralLife! You'll find good and bad reviews on all the major all-in-one systems (fluval, corallife, jbj etc). CoralLife's products have stood the test of time in my opinion.
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck cycling your first tank - Silbar   Good luck with the cycle. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the new fish. - Slaphppy7   Here's a much safer crayfish to keep. - Slaphppy7   For your hitchhiker. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you !! The JBL systems looked great, but the cost differential when factoring in the light was pretty drastic. Glad you guys approve. Very excited to get started with this tank.

Quick update:

Bought rock today! We drew out the dimensions of the tank and I built something up on styrofoam that seemed like it would fill the tank nicely. Ended up being only 30#, so I'll likely need some more. (I wanted to place in the tank and figure out what pieces would look good rather than just buy random pieces)

Took it home and added to the tank, building what I think to be a cool arch. I then added 30# of gravel/sand (20# of a coarser texture; 10# finer). LFS guy talked me into the Carib-Sea live sand. Post-purchase research suggests this wasn't necessarily a bad idea, but not a necessary one.

I added an Aqueon 100w heater set to 78 to chamber 1 behind that I had left over from my other daughter's tank.

Filled it with DI/RO (RO/DI?) water from the LFS; took almost 25gal, so 30# of sand + 30# of rock only displaces 7gals of water, unless the 32gal # doesn't include the sump portion in the back.

I'd post pictures but it's just a sandy white cloud now :)

Pump is running, and I guess the cycle has officially begun! My first redsea test kit came in today. I'm going to play with it tomorrow and post water readings and pics once everything has settled.

Thanks (I think?) for transmitting this MTS thing to me :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Trust me MTS is something no one can control. Once it strikes its never lets go.

Looking forward to the pics. Before no time you will be setting up a few frags and learning even more as you go!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck cycling your first tank - Silbar   Good luck with the cycle. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the new fish. - Slaphppy7   Here's a much safer crayfish to keep. - Slaphppy7   For your hitchhiker. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Trust me MTS is something no one can control. Once it strikes its never lets go.

Looking forward to the pics. Before no time you will be setting up a few frags and learning even more as you go!
    So here are some pics. Still really cloudy, but you can see the rock at least. What looked like it would fill things up at the shop definitely didn't once I added the sand, so I think I need more rock !

Rocks setup at the shop:

Image-1.jpg

Image-2.jpg

The sand:

Image-4.jpg

In the tank, side and front view:

Image-3.jpg

Image-5.jpg

So the LFS guy said rock first, then sand... I lost a lot of height on my rock by doing this, but I think it makes sense from a foundation perspective. I didn't get the sand even unfortunately so I need to redo that. I'm thinking I need another 15 or so pounds of rock to build up a higher structure.

Thoughts so far?

Heater seems to be running correctly. No mechanical filtration of any sort yet except the sponge that is between chamber 2 and 3 yet. Current plan once stocked is carbon (?), sponge, and possibly chemical filtration in filter stack. No biomedia. Protein Skimmer in same chamber as heater. Raise rock content to 45#.

Only downsides I've encountered to the CoraLife unit so far... Cooling fans for the LED's are a bit noisy, but it's in my daughter's bedroom so no worries :) And second the lights aren't really upgradable, which is slightly limiting in the coral department. But that's not really a limitation, since our stated goal here is to build a good environment for a single urchin and a shrimp :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good to me, so far.

Is that "live" rock?...does it have to stay wet the whole time?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Live rock, cured at the LFS. It stayed damp -- the wrapped it in wet paper in a plastic bag inside a cardboard+styrofoam fish box. It went from my car straight into the tank, then sand, then water, so it was out of water for < 1 hour total.

I didn't realize how much sand I was putting in, oops, and that covered up a lot of the rock. I think I put rock in first so it's flush against the bottom of the tank for stability. I think I can get a few more pieces and build the reef structure up another 6" or so almost to the top.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    The rock can't sit on top of the sand?

I know zilch about SW, just curious

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    I've seen folks do rock first then fill in sand around it with length of PVC pipe that you can simply pour sand into and place where you like also if you keep pipe low and lift up slowly then there is very little cloudyness also :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think the issue is stability, the rock is more stable directly on the glass with sand filled in around it. That way if the sand shifts the rock/s don't tilt and shift possibly falling on other fish or against the glass cracking it.

Think I remember someone mentioning this before, maybe Marty...where is he?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    But what if the rock formation is built so that it is stable, and cannot topple over?

Sort of like those river rock formations in cichlid tanks.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast