· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish on your wall.  This looks like a skunk loach, but it's really a panda garra. - WhistlingBadger   Good news with the RCS, congrats. - Slaphppy7   

Default cherry shrimp problems

0 Not allowed!
    Having trouble keeping cherry shrimp. I have 2 shrimp tanks, cherries in one and snowballs in the other. Ill start with the cherry tank. 20gal long set up as a shrimp tank. Fluval Stratum substrate, 2 sponge filters and a AC 30 with sponge on intake. Live plants, driftwood and a moss ball. I always lose a few when I add them. Also every time I do a water change I lose one the next day. Water parameters as of yesterday ph-6.4,kh-2,gh-10. Didn't check nitrate, was in a hurry-not a good excuse.

second tank also set up as shrimp tank. 20 gal with fluorite substrate, live plants 2 pc of spiderwood and moss ball. parameters ph-6,kh-1,gh-9, nitrate is between 40-80.

I use prime and stability with each water change.

I have tested my tap water everything was in acceptable ranges. I had one of my lfs test my tank water and it was fine.

Does anything jump out? Its getting expensive just to have them die.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    What is the pH out of your tap?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish on your wall.  This looks like a skunk loach, but it's really a panda garra. - WhistlingBadger   Good news with the RCS, congrats. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    7.6 with reg test, 7.4 with high range test.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You need to be testing ammonia, nitrItes, and nitrAtes, those are the ones that can cause trouble.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    When you do a water change how much water do you remove? My guess is the pH is fluctuating and this will stress some of the weaker shrimp out resulting in death.

When you add new shrimp to the tanks do you acclimate them or just drain the water they are in and drop them in your tank?

I have two 5.5 gallon shrimp tanks and I do a water change of 2 gallons on each tank about once a week and half. When I replace the water I use 1/2 gallon of distilled water and 1.5 gallons of tap water because my tanks are about pH 6.6 and my tap is pH 7.6-7.8.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ammonia and nitrite has always been 0, nitrate would vary. I will test them.

I only change between1-2 gal. per my lfs recommendation. Monthly

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
    nitrate is between 40-80.
    That's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
    I only change between1-2 gal. per my lfs recommendation. Monthly
    And that's the reason for the problem. Very high nitrates due to very low water change schedule. With enough plants to consume the nitrates you might get away with it, but given you're reading between 40-80, I can easily see why your shrimp are dying.

Like Boundava, I'm a little concerned about what will happen if you do a big water change with your pH 7.6 tap. Maybe it would be best to start doing small water changes every couple days until the pH in your tank is closer to your tap, then do larger changes to reduce nitrate.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I agree, too little water changes, too much nitrates.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Cherry tank-
    ammonia -0
    nitrite- 0
    nitrate-160

Snowball tank
    ammonia -0
    nitrite-0
    nitrate -40-80

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Those trAtes are way too high, as suggested above.

WC's should be done now, large ones.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers