· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish on your wall.  This looks like a skunk loach, but it's really a panda garra. - WhistlingBadger   Good news with the RCS, congrats. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. I still cant figure out the high nitrates, there is like no bio load. Plants are all healthy,nothing rotting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Shrimp are scavengers, and they never stop eating..and pooping...they create a bigger bioload than one may realize
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    What types of filters do you have on the tanks, what is the media and how often do you clean it? You would be surprised how much debris can settle in a filter and add to nitrAtes too. Sponges in filters are notorious for housing nitrAte increasing debris, as is your substrate if you don't do a good substrate cleaning-which I don't think you can having such a small water change over sch a long period of time.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish on your wall.  This looks like a skunk loach, but it's really a panda garra. - WhistlingBadger   Good news with the RCS, congrats. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 sponge filters which I rinse monthly and an AC 30 with the stock sponge bio and a Purigen pouch. Cleaned monthly. I do vacuum but as pointed out you cant cover much area with smaller changes. I usually vacuum the area I feed them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Do you have problems with the flow in your sponge filters? Have you noticed deaths around the time you clean your filters? Sorry I know the nitrAtes are very high, but this may be a contributing factor too-if shrimp are dying only occasionally once established. You may be washing too many BB away cleaning the sponge filters, and this causes a mini-cycle which hits the stressed (from high nitrAtes) shrimp out and causes death.

From my understanding, your sponge filters only need to be cleaned once they start to reduce flow. I have had my filters running since December, and haven't cleaned them yet. Matter of fact the shrimp do a good job cleaning them off for me. The fact that sponge filters are so maintenance free is why I want to move to almost 90% sponge filtration in the relatively near future for my tanks. Not to say I won't have supplemental filtration for some heavier stocked tanks in the form of a HOB or canister.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    They are rinsed out in tank water not tap. I should have said that ,my bad. Due to my past deaths with water changes I only changed 1/2 gal in both tanks. Probably do the same tomorrow then go from there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    If they are being rinsed monthly -- assuming NOT in tap water -- I'm wondering how this would kill BB and cause a mini cycle.
    Just rinsing -- swishing and squeezing them out a few times -- in old tank water shouldn't cause troubles. (What am I missing?)

I would guess with a bunch of plants, the sponge filter would have to be cleared of plant bits, periodically.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 02-09-2017 at 09:44 PM. Reason: ninja'd again-- I'm too slow today

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    You can loose some BB rinsing and swishing. I have done it before a long long time ago with a betta.

The 5.5 tanks have buce in it and I don't get plant bits in it, its too fine a sponge and the suction isn't like a filter to pull them in. Even the sponge on my 20L doesn't get plant bits in and it has a much bigger air pump, and it has been up for slightly over a year now with never a rinse and a bunch of plants and lots of fish in the tank.
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-09-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
    Due to my past deaths with water changes I only changed 1/2 gal in both tanks. Probably do the same tomorrow then go from there.
    Hopefully you might consider doing this daily until those nitrates come down.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    You can loose some BB rinsing and swishing. I have done it before a long long time ago with a betta.
    This is good to know! I had no idea that would occur, if swished in old tank water.
    I'm learning something new, every single day.