· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish on your wall.  This looks like a skunk loach, but it's really a panda garra. - WhistlingBadger   Good news with the RCS, congrats. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I pick ed up about 100 cherries at an auction last fall. I expected a few to die but I would find 4 or 5 every day so I started doing small water changes every week. Didn't stop the die off. There are 4 left. I also put in 2 yellow then 4 more a week later. I topped off the tank,1-1 1/2 gal and next day a dead yellow 2nd day another died.

I don't get why the nitrates are so high. 3 filters, large-for this tank-sword, java fern,1 anubas, 4 cryts, moss on driftwood. 8 shrimp and 2 ottos.
    I'm running sponge bio and purigen in then AC filter. I only feed 2 times a week either a small pinch of shrimp cuisine or a small piece of an alge wafer.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    If you do a large water change watch the pH. Try the distilled water, see what the pH is when you mix a gallon of distilled to 1,2,3 gallons of tap. You can do this on a smaller scale by mixing a cup of distilled to 1,2,3 cups of tap water and see what comes closest to what you have in the tank right now. The other thing would be the dissolved solids in the water (magnesium and calcium), if this changes too much with the addition of too much distilled water then you will have issues with the shrimp unless you are able to add these back with something like Seachem Equilibrium (if you have plants) or Replenish.
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-09-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Test your tap for trAtes yet?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    In thinking about how to get your nitrates down quickly, without swinging your pH too fast: I think I would start doing daily -- possibly twice daily -- small water changes. I'm thinking one gallon, because hopefully a half percent volume would not change the pH too fast.

If it were me in charge of these tanks, I'd do 2 wc's around 12 hours apart and watch closely after the second one, test the pH. If there is not trouble with a swing, then I'd keep to that schedule -- one gallon changed, every 12 hours or so -- daily for a couple of weeks. Then see what your parameters look like to determine if this schedule could ease off a bit.

Best wishes for you and your shrimp.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 02-09-2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: ninja'd by many -- I'm slow!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish on your wall.  This looks like a skunk loach, but it's really a panda garra. - WhistlingBadger   Good news with the RCS, congrats. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    could I just use PH down to my tap water to match tank water before adding?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Are you purposefully adjusting your pH for your tanks? That could be causing issue as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    If you do a large water change watch the pH. Try the distilled water see what the pH is mixed a gallon of distilled to 1,2,3 gallons of tap. You can do this on a smaller scale bu mixing a cup of distilled to 1,2,3 cups of tap water and see what comes closest to what you have in the tank right now. The other thing would be the dissolved solids in the water (magnesium and calcium), if this changes too much with the addition of too much distilled water then you will have issues with the shrimp unless you are able to add these back with something like Seachem Equilibrium (if you have plants) or Replenish.
    Mixing with distilled is a good idea -- trying to match your established pH.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    You know that neocaridina would do fine in the pH that comes out of your tap? Adding things like pH up/down can be dangerous depending on the buffering capability of your tank's water. It is usually better to use the pH as is from the tap.
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-09-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    adjusting ph of tap water to match tank water before adding it to avoid any ph swing.

tap water nitrates are 5

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    That's ok, you want nitrates under 20 ppm for tanks, 40-160 ppm is too high
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore