· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Learning about Severums

0 Not allowed!
    Okay. I am only a couple years into fish keeping, and I'm learning a lot as I go. For the first time about a week ago I saw a baby gold severum. Beautiful fish. I did a lot of research on it before I bought it knowing how big they get and that they are peaceful. Mind you I have the appropriate tank size for at least 2. So now I've been trying to hunt down the Rotkeil Red Shouldered Severum. I fell in love with this fish and I'm dying to have one. So now here are my questions.....

in my research I did not see anywhere that they love plants and that they will most likely destroy them. I found out about this from someone in a Facebook group. My tank is very heavily planted. What is your experience on this and is there anyway to prevent it?

My next question is about the Rotkeil. I've read that they do not get as big as the golds and they are better with plants. But I've also heard the opposite. Can any one give me any accurate info on this please?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    Severums are peaceful relative to oscars and other aggressive cichlids. There are not as peaceful as community fish. They are still cichlids, and cichlids are territorial by nature. The severum you have now may not take too kindly to a new severum in the tank.

Just a heads up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    I have no experience with them in planted tanks. They are pretty peaceful and eat meaty foods. I personally do not believe they would have a reason to pick at the plants. But you need to always be cautious and understanding to the fact that fish can have a wide range of personalities. Hopefully someone has had more experience with this. Good Luck!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I use to keep them many moons back in my 100g. Which was way to small for a large severum. Any plants that use to be in it when they were first added go eaten instantly. After that any type of plant was food.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

1 Not allowed!
    They can grow a lot larger than most guides (maybe even AC) says. A local LFS had a pair they had gotten as a trade and they were about 16 inch in length. Most stay smaller but you should know that there is a risk that you are going to need a very large tank.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.