· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 75g filter

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 75g filter

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 75g community aquarium with community fish of 8 rainbows, 5 rummynose, an angelfish and a couple Cory cats.

I am currently using a emperor 400 and wanting to upgrade the filtration.

My head is spinning about whether i need two filters or not. I had been thinking about an ac110 paired with a xp2 or xp3 but the more I read the more confused I get with whether I should just get a xp4 instead or something similar and forget the HOB filter.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    No problem going with dual HOB's I would go with the aquaclear the emperor is super loud and not as nice in there media storage area.

I always like to over filter then just getting by :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    If you want ultimate silence, the eheim 2217 is the way to go, and you will only need one canister filter for that tank. You don't have to buy additional media because it comes with top quality media to begin with. Th XP filstar are not what they used to be years ago when they used to be Rena.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Agree with Rock, a 2217 and a large HOB, like this

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-110.../dp/B000260FV6

Dual filtration is a good idea on large tanks
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Would a eheim 2217 be sufficient by itself for a community aquarium like what I mentioned? Do I really need two??!! That's what is really stressing me out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

2 Not allowed!
    I don't see any issue with having just the 2217, especially with your stock light as it is for a 75 gallon.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    To merge over to the eheim 2217 should I cut up the biowheels from the emperor 400 or just run both together for a couple of months??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbearcat1998 View Post
    Would a eheim 2217 be sufficient by itself for a community aquarium like what I mentioned? Do I really need two??!! That's what is really stressing me out.
    For your tank you only need one eheim 2217. It's ultra silent compared to any HOB.

Quote Originally Posted by nwbearcat1998 View Post
    To merge over to the eheim 2217 should I cut up the biowheels from the emperor 400 or just run both together for a couple of months??
    Your biowheels should have bacterial slime on it by now. Gently remove the slime with your 2 fingers over the wet media from the eheim. You will want to take old tank water and gently rinse the new eheim media.

Run both filters at the same time for a couple of months. You can keep your magnum 350 as a back up or store it as a spare.

Doesn't the magnum have a biomedia casing that can go into the middle of it?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's an emperor 400. I have two blue pads in one side and ceramic noodles on the other with the biowheels.

I'll just plan on seeding the eheim with tank water and maybe a few of the ceramic noodles mixed in with the ehfisubstrat. Sound good??

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Then run both together for two months.