· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree, its gorgeous. I like the erectus variety as well but that melted entirely away on me too-probably didn't help that my loaches, cory and big BN kept uprooting the new stems nightly.

images (1).jpg

May try it again when I remove some of the bottom feeders. It is such a neat texture in a tank...guess looking back at it I miss it, lol
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Never tried pogostremon erectus, it is pretty as well though. If it's that sensitive though, I see other plants that are similar and easier to keep. It would be sweet to grow a helferi and erectus in your tank one day, but not enough to remove some of your nice bottom feeding fish. I got crazy into plants at one time, experimenting with dirt and lighting, dreaming, but I went back to easy growing plants and plants that like my soft water, I figure the tank is healthier and more stable for the fish, and they are the stars of my tanks.

I have angelfish in all of my tanks lol, and they are too rough on delicate stem plants. But I bet those delicate plants would be beautiful with smaller non-cichlid fish!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 02-07-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Guess I am lucky with my hard Midwest great lake water. Plants seem to like it for the most part.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    I've thought about putting some Pogostemon helferi in my SE Asia tank. I'm definitely going to try some stargrass in the Orinoco tank. It would be a very cool contrast with the swords.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Would love to see that
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    I've thought about putting some Pogostemon helferi in my SE Asia tank. I'm definitely going to try some stargrass in the Orinoco tank. It would be a very cool contrast with the swords.
    Cool. So many beautiful Asian plants, heferi will look gorgeous in there!

Glad you liked the stargrass idea, it works wonderfully in my 120g SA tank.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Cool. I've been doing a lot of research on SA plants, since the last few years I've been concentrating on Asian. I've put together quite a list! And hey, even though it's snowing, it's almost warm enough to order plants off Ebay again!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'd like to see that list :) I've researched South American plants for my 120g, I just like the look of plants that are native to the region the fish live in in the wild and feel they just look better in a biotope. Like how angelfish love to use amazon swords as a breeding site.

I got off the top of my head:
    Amazon sword (and hybrid swords)
    Chain sword, micro sword, tenellus
    Jungle vallisneria
    Stargrass
    Frogbit
    Brazilian pennywort
    Dwarf sagittaria

Hmmmmmm.......

What am I missing?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well, let me see...here's what I'm planning on putting in this tank. It's only a 29, remember, so I have to show SOME restraint. ha ha ha
    Melon sword
    3 rosette swords
    Dwarf hairgrass (yep, I'm still trying to get it going, but I'm starting to lose interest...it's been over two weeks and I'm not even seeing any root growth)
    S. repens for foreground and/or on the wood. Maybe some H. tenelum...never tried that one, either.
    Java Moss tucked in the hollows
    Amazon frogbit floating

Leaning toward stargrass, A. reineckii (or redneckii as our dear Slap calls it), and pennywort for stem plants. (also considering Mayaca fluviatilis, Brazillian milfoil, and Bacopa Monnieri "compact")

That would give me nine different species. Not a bad start for a Walstad tank. My year-old Asian tank currently has 12 species of plants, but I started out with 16 or 17, I think. In a natural tank, some species come to dominate over time, others die out, and in my case, some make themselves such a nuisance that they must be destroyed. ha ha ha