· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - angelcraze2   

Default New koi angelfish arrive on Tuesday!

0 Not allowed!
    First big tank here - 110g

I've completed the cycle - 0,0,5 on amonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Unfortunately my ph is much higher than i wanted but its stable (8.3) so thats something.

I ordered 20 dime & sub-dime sized koi angels from a reputable breeder on aquabid. She will ship em tomorrow so they will arrive Tuesday morning.

I'm excited & a little nervous as i dont want to kill em!

My under-tank sump filter is HUGE with more bio-balls & ceramic rings than i can count - literally, like 3 gallons of bio-balls & 4 bags of rings so it can handle the bio-load.

Im more concerned about the ph than anything - tried a few things, different substrate, peat - will pick up some driftwood later this spring.

Anyway - should I do anything special to get the new babies settled in?

I have 10 danios & 1 ghost shrimp in the tank now. Pulled the goldfish after the cycle was complete.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Adding driftwood and peat won't do anything if your KH is high. For KH of 8, 2 cups of peat will only soften around 24-30 cups of water.

If you want to soften your water and make it more acidic, start mixing RO water with your tap before adding it into the tank. This is an easier way to control it.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 02-05-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   You needed a Angle Fish! - Plecos   congrats on the gorgeous tank - fishmommie   nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't worry about your Ph. I think people put too much thought into Ph. I have a Ph of 8.2 to 8.4, I have no problems with angels. Current I have wild altums in my water with no issues.
    220g bala shark, tinfoil barb and silver dollar Tank.
    125g planted wild altum Tank

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Where PH matters is how fast ammonia becomes toxic and if you want to induce breeding. Fish from areas of low PH are less tolerable of slight ammonia spikes than those fish from higher PH areas.

However, most people think that PH has to do how hard and how soft the water is. This is not correct since water can still have a high PH and be soft water with low TDS. Now if you mix RO water with your hard water, there will be a health improvement in the long run for soft water fish. They will be able to process and regulate the minerals in their body as they normally should, which is known as osmotic regulation.

So filtering through peat or mixing RO does these 3 things:

1. Reduce the PH
    2. Remove calcium and magnesium ions from the water
    3. lower the total dissolved solid level

Now some folks also think that a water softener will make true soft water, which is water will low amounts of calcium and magnesium, as well as a low TDS level. However this is not true. The water softener will not lower the TDS value of the water as it is simply replacing the calcium and magnesium ions with sodium or potassium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    If you are really nervous about adding fish I always recommend the drip acclimation method. But that is cool! Post some pictures when you get them :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    They were shipped today. Arrive in the morning.

I want to have softer water but will settle for consist water for now.

Will post pics when i get em

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I plan to aclimate them to my water over a 2 to 3 hour period. That should be slow enough right?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just read up on the drip method. I need to get a valve. Walmart should have one right? They are open late as i wont be home till late tonight and the fish arrive in the morning

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Monkey View Post
    Just read up on the drip method. I need to get a valve. Walmart should have one right? They are open late as i wont be home till late tonight and the fish arrive in the morning

I don't know if walmart will have a valve but you can look. You can also use a piece of airline tubing and tie a knot in it. That will cut the water flow down and just allow the water to slowly drip out.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Here they are!

She shipped 25 & they all seem healthy!