· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   keeping your big tank - RiversGirl   

Default New Lake Tang tank - 180g

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone -

I am working on creating my first cichlid tank.... and I am going big. I live on an island with extremely hard water, so I have had to collect rainwater for all of my tropical tanks. I have a 180g tank that is just too large to maintain with rainwater, so I am converting it to a Lake Tang tank that I can fill with my hard icky hose water.

I would like to lay out my plan for stocking and set up and see what the cichlid experts think. :)

The tank is a double overflow sump filtration with two return pumps, 180gal/680L. 6' long, 2' deep, 2' high.

I am creating a complex hardscape with a combination of river rock and fake rock - like the kind you use to cover up valves and such in the yard - to achieve some height to the hardscape. I am building in as many caves and hidey holes as I can and also creating visual barriers between the caves, as much as possible. The rocks will rest on styrofoam directly on the bottom, and the substrate will be a mixture of pool filter sand and black tahitian moon sand.

Tentative stocking plan - I think I especially need help with the numbers of each species:

Julies - marlieri OR transcriptus, start with 6-7?
    N. Leleupi - start with 4-5?
    N. brichardi - start with 6-8?
    A. calvus - start with 4-5?
    Cyprichromis - 10-12?
    Possibly 2-4 synodontis lucipinnis - I already have 2, haven't decided if I should put them in or not, I have read conflicting opinions on that

I would really like a shellie too, either multis or brevis, but I have also read conflicting reports about keeping them with the other larger tangs. I am fine to avoid the shellies in the big tank and maybe do a small shellie tank in the future.

My plan was to get most of the fish as juvies and add them all together, then get the brichardis later - they pair up sooner I believe?

Any comments/ideas/criticisms are welcome!! Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your problem while posting. I have removed the duplicate posts.

Sounds like a good tank but i would not but the synodontis lucipinnis in there. It could work but the are better kept with larger species. They might disturb the smaller species when they dart around.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Fish from central america come from hard water areas so that's another option for your.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Julies - marlieri OR transcriptus, start with 6-7?
    N. Leleupi - start with 4-5?
    N. brichardi - start with 6-8?
    A. calvus - start with 4-5?
    Cyprichromis - 10-12?
    Hey drmommcat,
    one thing that I would do is delete the Brichardi, they have such ability to breed up and take over the tank really fast. That is unless you are able to remove all the young from time to time. Personally I would choose some type of option like tropheus species. There is quite a few types to choose from and stocking requirements are not very hard, link for reference. Personally I would not do the Shellies, something I would not risk personally, and keep that idea to a small tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm not surprised by the recommendations to skip lucipinnis and shellies.

As for the brichardi/tropheus - I was avoiding tropheus as their diet is so sensitive, I had read that they do better in species only tanks. ??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Years ago I had a Tang set up in a custom 83g tank.
    My main stocking was
    J. Marlieri
    N. Leleupi
    Tropheus duboisi.

My Duboisi never had a issue at all with food. Spent some time prepping for them though. I let the tank mature for quite some time, letting rocks become algae covered.
    Once they were introduced they were fed mostly of peas and other types of produce. Mixed with a lot of algae and mix flake pellets and chips. Mine never had a issue feeding wise.
    Just keep the water parameters really clean and stable.
    Right now I am going to restart a Tang tank as well with 100g.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Tropheus is not hard to feed as long as you make sure they get a lot of veggies.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok cool. I originally wanted tropheus but thought it was better not to. Thanks!!

What did everyone think of the proposed numbers of the other species?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ime with keeping tangs the best options is to have as much rock work set up in a order to create bays sight barriers and ridges. Pretty sure that if you look through my garage invasion journal in my signature should be some pictures of my 100g tang in progress.

For the N. Leleupi I had two pairs in my 83g. With in 6 months that was harvested and sold close to 20 decent size juveniles, leaving 7 of them in there.

The two pair julies in my tank bread fast as well. Managed to get a lot of them out. But I did have to watch them heavily. The pairs could squable a bit between them selves. Nothing a few extra rocks did not cure.
    But for the size tank your running I see no issue at all 6-7 julies. I am sure over time you will spot a few extra piping out of the rocks from time to time.

As for calvus the plan I had years ago was just a single one. Males need something like 50g per male and decent line of sight breaks. So depending on the rock work one or two would work quite well.

The cyprichromis I would bump upto at min 12. Try to do even numbers of male to females of you can.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thank you!!

I think I will start with 3 Calvus, 6 Julies, 6 leleupi, 15 cyps. I will put my 2 little S. lucipinnis in another tank.
    I am still considering the tropheus idea.

One other question - I am really having a hard time deciding between J. marlieri vs transcriptus, gombi or bemba. Any recommendations? Can I get two different species of Julies in that large of a tank?

Thanks everyone. I will post pics of my hardscape soon, it is almost done.