· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

Default Ken's Ever Evolving 1st 29G

1 Not allowed!
    I like my music loud and fast. What many call noise I do this I . for my first tank build I am planning on basing its theme on it

If you read my introduction post, you know I am starting completely from scratch and have limited extra cash per month. I have a 29g that I am setting up in this journal and a 75g for future use, gotta love $1g sales. I just received in the mail from amazon a Aqueon QuitFlow 30, a 200 GPH hob filter. I have a survey app on my phone that just so happened to make this filter free normally $29 most reviews said it was a decent filter. In my research I found a canister filter that pumped around 170 GPH I guess my first question would be, would you add a canister filter of that size to the mix? amount of fish and kinds of fish are TBD.

My first task is to build a stand for it, I have the wood and have started building it. Working an hour and half from home does not leave a whole lot of time during the week to build and with having house things to take care of before the super bowl its going to be a slow start to this project.

I was thinking of going with a solid black background but then found this back ground on amazon, what do you guys think? W Blackhawks are on so I must end this for now. Maybe I'll do a hockey theme in my 75g. Until next time

Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    My motto with tank filtration is to always go over the tank's size-for a 29 gallon tank I would get filtration rated for at least 50 to 75 gallons; or set up two filters for 30-45 gallons on the tank so you have backup in case something happens to the one and funds are tight to replace it.

I have some fish with heavy bioloads (plecos), and I love to overstock my tanks (more the merrier-lol) so I always over filter my tanks.

For example on my 75 gallon I currently have two Eheim 2217 set up-but this tank had a bunch of fish including an adult bristlenose over 5" in length, a juvenile bristlenose, an adult clown pleco and two adult candy stripe plecos which aren't were efficient digesters (=heavy poopers ).
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I like the Aquaclear HOB filters, I have an AC30 and an AC70 on my 29G.

Like Boundava says, overfiltering is better than underfiltering.

You don't need a canister filter for a 29G, I would outfit it with 2 HOB's...that way you can rotate the cleaning schedule of the filters, and you always have a backup in case one fails.

You could get an AC50 or an AC70 to go with the Aqueon

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-...s=aquaclear+70
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    See I prefer the Aqueon QF to the Aquaclears, just because I had set up an AC 20 and AC 30 at the same time I set up an QF 20 on my tanks and the AC would need the most maintenance and then after a year and year an half they started not working and then just died on me. When we went to buy a replacement for the one that died after a year-the filter would not suck in water because somehow its motor was backward and every time we would fill the filter to prime it, the water would come out of the intake tube so it was returned and I went to sponge filters for the 20L tanks. That turned me off of AC filters for life...
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Yay, you started a journal! I'm excited to follow your build.

Great advice -- as usual -- from members above. I hope you might follow their recommendations. You will be glad you have two filters on your tank.

You have read up on the fishless cycling sticky, right? It would be good to read that over.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...7304#post57304

It is terrific that you are building your own stand. You will have a nice piece of mind when it is completed. More solid and sturdier than a lot of the ones sold in stores. Several members here have built their own, so if you have any questions, just ask.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Here's a drawing of how many of us have built our stands, 2 x 4's for the legs, 2 x 6's for the stands

base.JPG
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    As you've already seen, you will get different opinions on equipment, set up and later on stocking. What works for one person might not work best for another. So research is important to decide what might work for you. Read reviews as well as the personal experiences of others here. I've never had a canister filter, so I'm no help there. Most of my HOB's have been the AquaClears, but a few years ago I added the Fluval C3 and C4 to one tank. I like the filter set up a lot, but sometimes find them a little noisy.

Most of my AC's have been working just fine, but one has been giving me some trouble lately. So, to replace that one, I've recently bought a newer filter - the Seachem Tidal 55 - made by Sicce. I have not set this up yet, and it's relatively new in the last few months so there aren't too many reviews out there. Hoping for the best - sometimes you just have to try new things.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Here's a drawing of how many of us have built our stands, 2 x 4's for the legs, 2 x 6's for the stands
    Yes this is the design I am using, although I figured with the 29g I could get away with 2x3. Seeing that you mentioned 2x4's and 2x6's I have since texted my cousin who is a mechanical engineer. to make sure i will be okay with 2x3's I assumed they would be okay since the couple of videos I looked at they used 2x4's for 75g. Why I did not think of talking to him first I do not know, if he doesnt give the go ahead it's leason 1 learned in this build.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I personally with a black back ground as well.

Actually think I put you wrong there man. Stainless screw should be 316 not 314. You can use 314 but they arnt true stainless. And in nz it's about $2.00 more expensive to get true stainless 316 bog of 100 screws vs 314.

Back to the stand, when ever in doubt always build it to take more. In all the stands that are in my fish room, they are built to take twice and one stand in particulare way more than twice.
    Only do it just in case I want a bigger stand.

Just a thought will you set the stand up for ajustable feet for leveling? Or shim it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I personally with a black back ground as well.

Actually think I put you wrong there man. Stainless screw should be 316 not 314. You can use 314 but they arnt true stainless. And in nz it's about $2.00 more expensive to get true stainless 316 bog of 100 screws vs 314.

Back to the stand, when ever in doubt always build it to take more. In all the stands that are in my fish room, they are built to take twice and one stand in particulare way more than twice.
    Only do it just in case I want a bigger stand.

Just a thought will you set the stand up for ajustable feet for leveling? Or shim it?
    was planning on just shimming, adjustable feet never even crossed my mind thanks, something new to think about.

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast