· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Cool video of your beautiful fish -- thanks for sharing it.
    You are welcome
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrat on your fishless cycle - Boundava   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Tank and fish all look terrific Ken. Music got my blood pumping this morning.
    Thank you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Lol, my band? Winds of Plague? I know they have one coming up again.....

Is Tool dropping an album?
    There's quite a few albums I want to pick up!
    no idea how I missed this. it is/was dimmu borgir I was talking about.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    Dimmu is one of my fave commercial black metal bands, I've never seen them live! And want to so badly. I saw they are at Waken festival in Germany this year.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Time for a video update. This tank is nothing I had envisioned when I started.

I wanted a crystal clear pest snail free environment. I didn't get MTSs, till I bought some off the internet and added them myself.

I run one filter. I forget which one at the moment, it was rated at 200gpr new. I only have biological filtration, I took the mechanical floss out. I give the media a good rinsing once a month.

Last time I changed the water was 12/12, 5 gallons. When I top off I use distilled water @ 69c a gallon. Eventually I am going to get a portable RO system.

I check my water perameters once a week. Ammonia, trits and trats all 0, for over two months now. KH runs 4 to 5 and GH runs 7 to 8.
    TDS between 175 and 200.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your luck has to get better... - Slaphppy7   positive wishes for your troubled tank! - SeaLady   Flowers to sooth you - lots of stress lately. - DebinWhitmore   You are the cycling queen - Silbar   your right ;-) - AmazonJoe   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - cajunqn81   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks good, Ken.

Why such small WC's, and why the long gap between them?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Looks good, Ken.

Why such small WC's, and why the long gap between them?
    When I first started researching this first tank, the number one thing to be successful in this hobby I learned was, research something before you implement it I believe you were the main champion of that.once you get a tank up and running maintaining water quality should be a top priority.

It was suggested that I get a master test kit and keep an eye on NH3/NH4+,NO2 AND NO3. For the most part as long as the first 2 are 0 and the 3rd is no higher then 5ppm-10ppm your water is where it should be at as far as quality.

Then it was suggested that I get a KH and GH test kit and keep track of those, because that has an affect on PH. A stable PH is also a top priority for happy, healthy fish.

Soon after GH and KH, keeping track of TDSs was suggested. A stable TDS reading is another good indicator of the over all health of the tank.

from the start I wanted a filtered to the max crystal clear tank. I was running 2 filters that combined filtered 550 GPH. at 18 time the volume of the tank per hour being filtered, every time I tested, ammonia and Nitrites would be 0 but I would always have at least 5ppm more often 10ppm of Nitrites. To keep my water quality for the week I had to do 40%-50% water changes.

It has been roughly 3.5 months since I switched to the botanical, tinted tank. Thank you Joe, Mac and of coarse Scott F at tannin Aquatics. The 1st month and half, ever week when I checked parameters I still would get Nitrate reading, I was still doing 40%-50% WC. At some point I started getting 0 Trates. never saw that yellow for Trates before. I had to go show the wife, although she wasn't as excited as I was.

I started doing 20%-30% WC each week and tested the water twice a week. with everything still at zero I started changing 10%-20% each week. during this whole time the only thing that went up was TDS which is to be expected. with toping off with distilled water that has slowed the upward bound TDS. At some point I took out one of my filters, I had to mess with it every time I shut it off to do a WC.

There are so many opinions on what is most important for a tank some say keep track of ammonia, trites and trates, some say worry only about trates. Some check only GH,KH and TDS regularly some just worry about GH and KH snd some just worry about TDS.

I check all parameters on a regular bases, as long as the are all in check and the fish are acting normal. I don't feel the need to add 'new' water to the system.

I have read that with the decaying leaf litter, sticks, pods, cones and what not, the more 'new' water you add to the system, the bigger chance of upsetting the biological processes that are going on which I believe plays a big part in the readings I get.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Things you see in a botanical tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Tank looks great. Did you want the trumpet snails? You got them for the life of your tank!
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with 4 chilis, green endlers & Bloody Mary shrimp and 2nd with blue star endlers and Blue Dream shrimp
    Four-27 gallon tubs, 1st w/ BN plecos; 2nd w/ gouramis, rainbow fish, kuhli, dojos and female endlers; 3rd w/ albino corys, pepper cory, panda corys; 4th is 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast