· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 74 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I have confidence BluewaterBoof would have some kind of DIY trick for this application :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Haha thank you for the votes of confidence, but I'm just a mere mortal like the rest of you :)

If it was me, I'd just toss together some CO2 yeast reactors, bury the lines, and call it a day

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

1 Not allowed!
    Damnit Nat I am suppose to get a tiller tonight and start to preping some spots in the yard to move some irises tomorrow, how am I going to be able to do that now, with all these sites you are posting for me to check out....lol. thanks I appreciate it, really I do.
    I am looking at getting a 2 outlet air pump. I haven't looked but i figured there has got to be a plastic T that I can split the air hoses with (how ever many times I want to split it) then put a plastic control valve (which I have seen) in each individual line and control volumn from there. as far as the burping affect, not sure yet. Will shells look good in a black water?
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Pressure release valves but I don't think they're made for air lines this small? You might have to do it on smaller air pumps with in line timers? Small plastic black hinged boxes if you're going to use black sand so that air builds up inside each box? It'll take some noodling and experimentation.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That's a great idea Taurus. And yeah, if the shells are visible, they won't look so natural in your blackwater setup. I was wondering if you could accumulate air outside of the tank somehow before it reaches your airstones. Maybe if you get some airline shutoff valves, you can close them most of the way and accumulate air very slowly. The timer would limit the burbs to every 15 minutes possibly. Trial and error until you get it right :) I know you'll figure something out. Boof idea about adding co2 instead of air might be a solution as well! Would he use the yeast co2 method @BluewaterBoof?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Yeah, and he could regulate how much CO2 is generated by adjusting his yeast/water/sugar ratios. No need for fancy tube routing or pressure valves. Just bury the lines where he wants them and the gas will build up at a nice slow rate until it can force its way out of the sand, just like a lake.

Added benefit is the extra little bit of CO2 for his plants. As the bubbles will be fairly large when they vent out of the substrate, he won't have to worry about gassing his fish even with the reactors running at night, because they will be too big and rise too fast to dissolve in the water.

Would be a cheap and easy DIY experiment using a coke bottle and a jar/glass filled with water and some substrate. Then when Ken gets the effect he wants he can just scale it up and incorporate multiple bottles and lines if he wants each "vent" to off-gas independently from one another.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey nut View Post
    his name has come to mind as I have been think about this.
    actually the name Andrea came to mind for some reason.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Haha thank you for the votes of confidence, but I'm just a mere mortal like the rest of you :)

If it was me, I'd just toss together some CO2 yeast reactors, bury the lines, and call it a day
    how many is a few. would you calculate?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well you could do a bottle per vent, that way you could have them venting at different rates independently from on another. A single 2liter coke bottle reactor will generate about one bubble every second or two, using a generic recipe. You could play with how far you bury the line to adjust how much gas needs to build up before venting. Keeping the line closer to the surface of the substrate will allow the bubbles to escape right away, whereas burying them deeper will allow more of a pocket to develop before breaking free.

Or you could just do it up. Go big or go home, as they say. Grab some giant glass masonry jars with metal lids from a hobby store like Michael's, and run all of them together into a central bubble chamber that branches off into a half dozen air lines.

If it was me, I'd do a small scale test run using just a single bottle reactor and some substrate to make sure it actually gives you the effect you're hoping for.

If you've never fooled with DIY co2, it's actually incredibly easy. The hardest part is locating leaks in the lids of your bottles. That's why I switched from soda bottles to glass mason jars with metal lids. Large, sturdy, use some plumbers tape on the threads for the lid and use silicone on both sides of the lids around the airline to make sure no gasses escape.

There are tons of tutorials on how to set them up. Take a look on Youtube to see some of the different methods. They're all pretty much the same but some people use different materials.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I also want to add to the discussion that adding more check valves, air lines, pressure valves, and connectors all increase the chances of leaks occuring in your plumbing before they even reach your tank. Keeping it simple and linear as possible will give you the least amount of headaches down the road. Almost no DIY projects work perfectly the first go-rounds; so keeping it simple will make it easy to work out the initial problems. You can always scale up and make it more complex once you have everything figured out.

Page 74 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast