· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Wink What "scientific" thing happens when H2O2 is used on algae and wounds on a fish?

0 Not allowed!
    I've been looking around, probably not enough, but what actually happens when hydrogen peroxide comes in contact with algae and fish wounds? Like what kind of chemical reaction happens, if you don't mine me asking. And is there a chemical equation we can use to "describe" what is happening in the process? I know that with bacteria, oxidation takes place, but I'm not sure if it is the same with sores and algae.

P.S.: I wasn't really sure where to put this post so I just put it in the "General Aquarium Forum". I apologize if I am wrong.

P.P.S: I am writing a paper for Chemistry class on using hydrogen [in my case hydrogen peroxide] for aquarium uses.

Thank you for your help!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    I would look more into the Nature magazine study

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

A study published in Nature found that hydrogen peroxide plays a role in the immune system. Scientists found that hydrogen peroxide presence inside cells increased after tissues are damaged in zebrafish, which is thought to act as a signal to white blood cells to converge on the site and initiate the healing process. When the genes required to produce hydrogen peroxide were disabled, white blood cells did not accumulate at the site of damage. The experiments were conducted on fish; however, because fish are genetically similar to humans, the same process is speculated to occur in humans.
    With regards to algae and hydrogen peroxide, I would research a bit more into redox potential, and how hydrogen peroxide reacts with different ph of water, and which algae benefits or is hindered by this redox potential. Not all algae react the same way way H2O2 is added to the water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    There is no one chemical reaction or equation because hydrogen peroxide reacts with many other molecules when added to an aquarium. In aquariums, hydrogen peroxide acts as an oxidizing agent by removing electrons from other molecules. This applies to bacterial tissue, algal tissue and animal tissue alike.

By oxidizing the organic molecules forming the tissue, hydrogen peroxide interferes with their function and causes tissue death.