· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ich ideas

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Gorgeous new aquascaping! - Rue   for good luck and something magical to hold - smaug   you can be my valentine anytime jarhead - smaug   Thanks for the support - jbeining75   I thank you for the thoughtful gift,:) - kitten3326   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - shalafi04   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - shalafi04   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - shalafi04   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - shalafi04   Childhood Cancer - shalafi04   

Unhappy Ich ideas

0 Not allowed!
    So a couple of my goldies have been displaying ich (It came with them from petsmart). Just a few dots here and there, nothing I would consider a major outbreak. I know they don't like warmer waters but I know ich doesn't either. So i have had the tank up to 82 for the last 4 or 5 days now. I recall reading leaving it at a higher temp for at least 10 days. I wanted to use low dose salt for the ich (That's how i used to treat it back in the day) But I have live plants which i know cant hang out in salted waters and i'm not sure how goldfish would handle salting...

So whats everyones ich advice. I know we all have our own ways of doing things, ich sucks, but I am willing to hear out some ideas.

TIA

Oh... FYI - water parameters are 0, 0, and 20. I do a 20% WC every other day or every 3rd day depending on my N03 reading because they are being held in a small tank at the moment.
    Last edited by shalafi04; 01-23-2017 at 01:40 AM. Reason: adding info
    ~~Misty~~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

3 Not allowed!
    Use Seachem Paraguard.

At 82F, it just speeds us the ich life cycle, it does not harm it in any way. At 86/87F, the ich can no longer reproduce. At 91F, ich is killed by heat. Low salt dosage won't kill the ich either. You need at least 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon of water added over a 72 hour period.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   You needed a Angle Fish! - Plecos   congrats on the gorgeous tank - fishmommie   nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    I've always treated ich with heat and heat alone. I'll crank up the temp to about 88 and leave it there for about 3 weeks.
    220g monster fish tank.
    125g planted wild altum tank
    55g kigoma frontosa tank.
    20g quarantine tank.

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Use Seachem Paraguard.

At 82F, it just speeds us the ich life cycle, it does not harm it in any way. At 86/87F, the ich can no longer reproduce. At 91F, ich is killed by heat. Low salt dosage won't kill the ich either. You need at least 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon of water added over a 72 hour period.
    Yea paraguard might be best choice since its biofilter safe and no need to remove it via carbon it naturally dissipates over time. I'm not sure how goldfish handle the high heat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luke77 View Post
    I've always treated ich with heat and heat alone. I'll crank up the temp to about 88 and leave it there for about 3 weeks.
    I think because she has goldfish that the high heat would be very stressful for them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    I know that without sufficient surface agitation, the fancy goldfish start to gasp for air at around 84F. When I had goldfish for a couple of years, I had no choice at keeping the temp at 82F simply due to room ambient temperature and what came out of my cold water tap. They did fine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    So you think with addition of surface agitation and airstone she could treat with just heat?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    So you think with addition of surface agitation and airstone she could treat with just heat?

I haven't tried it as high as 87F with goldfish. If she wants to try it, she could start it out over the weekend so that she can observe them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    So at that temp, the ich stops reproducing, correct?...but once the temp is lowered again, new ich can recur if the substrate is not vacuumed meticulously?

Are there ANY fish that can handle 91F for any amount of time?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    At the temp 87/89 it should kill the protozoas out right when left for two weeks or so

Oh yea there are certain Tetras can handle the 90's