· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Gorgeous new aquascaping! - Rue   for good luck and something magical to hold - smaug   you can be my valentine anytime jarhead - smaug   Thanks for the support - jbeining75   I thank you for the thoughtful gift,:) - kitten3326   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - shalafi04   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - shalafi04   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - shalafi04   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - shalafi04   Childhood Cancer - shalafi04   

Question goldfish and friends???

0 Not allowed!
    Are there any fish that can go with goldfish? I was originally just going to get a 70gal for my 4 goldfish but the husband must be in a good mood because he agreed to a 120! I plan to get a panda oranda and maybe 1 other to go in there, but I am curious if goldfish ever house with anyone else.

TIA
    ~~Misty~~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    120 gallons? and assuming at typical room temperature?

Fathead minnows are basically identical to goldfish in terms of temperament and care requirements but are slender and remain at around 3 inches. They could add some contrast to the slower moving goldfish. They are fast, but as they're much smaller and have smaller mouths, it is unlikely that they would outcompete the goldfish for food.
    They aren't commonly kept as aquarium fish though and you're most likely to find them sold as feeder minnows. they come both in wild colors and orange (known as the rosy red minnow) like goldfish.

Dojo/weather loaches also enjoy similar water parameters (cool and alkaline) as goldfish, but you might need to take care with feeding or they won't get enough food with the goldfish around.

Some people also keep white cloud mountain minnows with goldfish. However, even the slow fancy varieties can apparently catch and eat a minnow every so often, so I can't recommend this.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Gorgeous new aquascaping! - Rue   for good luck and something magical to hold - smaug   you can be my valentine anytime jarhead - smaug   Thanks for the support - jbeining75   I thank you for the thoughtful gift,:) - kitten3326   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - shalafi04   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - shalafi04   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - shalafi04   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - shalafi04   Childhood Cancer - shalafi04   

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the response. I'll take my time and see what I do. I may just let the goldfish rule the roost.
    ~~Misty~~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    You're set on goldfish, eh?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    lol yeah. I already have the 4 I saved from petsmarts death tanks. Odin, Freya, Loki, and Njord. Want to add a few more. Thank goodness the Norse people had many Gods lol
    ~~Misty~~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    And you are to be commended for the rescue

I won't be of much help with goldfish, but when you get your next 125, let me know

We're gonna stock the heck out of that thing (with tetras, of course)

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    we have this pointless shelving on the left side of our fireplace that i hate, because its non functional. I'm trying to talk the husband into letting me turn it into a built in tank.... it'll be AWESOME!
    ~~Misty~~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    "It'll"...?

So it's happening, correct?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Dojos, also known as weather loaches, would be a nice bottom-feeding complement to the goldies. Just make sure when you feed the goldies that you also provide sinking pellets for the dojos. If this is going to be a planted tank, and you don't mind a few aquatic snails, the dojos could eat them, as well.

If you keep dojos with your goldies, be sure your tank has a tight-fitting lid and that all unnecessary holes in the plastic strip are sealed. Any excess space in holes around airline tubing or filter hoses will need to be sealed off, as well. Dojos are notorious for escaping their tanks, and they can live for a short while outside of water. If the space is large enough for a dojo to squeeze through it, it will very likely do so.

Dojos also like hiding places, so provide a smooth hollow log or other smooth cave-like decoration for them. Be careful of sharp edges, as these are scaleless fish.

I think you'll like dojos. They are peaceful, like their own company (usually three, minimum, but in a tank that size, you might get by with four or five), and some of them become so friendly they could feed out of your hand. As bottom feeders, they will help keep the substrate cleaner, as will any snails they don't eat.

Best live plants for goldies are Anubias, as they won't eat those. Other plants will need to be artificial.

I assume you'll have powerful filtration on that tank -- like an AC110?

The Rosy, or Fathead minnows are also a good choice.

If you wish to keep Amano shrimp with goldies or dojos, you'll need to get large, 2-inch specimens. Anything smaller could become lunch for the dojos and/or goldies. The shrimp could add interest to your tank, but they, too, will need places to hide. They scavange off the bottom, and will also clean algae and other debris off of your plants.

Weather loaches are easy to feed. They will eat just about any fish food, as long as they can reach it in time before competing fish get it.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    yes it is happening... someday in, hopefully, the not too distant future. As for the dojos that is awesome! It is going to be a planted tank. I love giving the goldies something to nibble on and uproot hahaha brats.
    Filtration I am looking at a canister filter. And while I could fit more goldies, I am sticking to six.
    ~~Misty~~