· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Don't think it is al wrong, but the different species have different habits and needs I think.
    Btw : my bn's love protein ik their diet as well.

This pic will be in the March issue of Practical Fishkeeping Magazine. Quite proud hahaha !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk
    Haha congrats, (s)he's a beauty for sure and a very nice shot!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    My BNP is also carnivorous !
    Mine too. They eat algae when young, like you said already, but they need driftwood in the tank for fiber. I witnessed my female BN eating all the angelfish eggs right in front of my eyes. I was pretty sad :( But at least she got good nutrition, she is breeding as well and everyone needs good nutrtion, especially spawning mamas.

FYI most algae wafers have protein included, and the BN plecos will clean up any angelfish food that makes it to the bottom along with the assassin snails!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-19-2017 at 09:52 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    In general, it's the fish keeper's job to keep tank algae under control. Snails, shrimp and fish may help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    ...the only draw back is they might leave eggs on your plant leaves, hardscape and glass. These eggs won't hatch in freshwater, so no worry about a snail explosion, but the eggs are very stuck to the surface they are laid on and take a while to disintegrate. Some aquarist find this to be an extreme eye-sore...
    This is why I quit keeping nerites--I got tired of their little fly specks everywhere. Other than that, they're great snails, and the only kind I've ever been able to keep alive for more than a couple months.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

3 Not allowed!
    As for some of your other questions:
    Loaches, in my experience, don't eat much algae, though they are really fun. Some of them are quite aggressive, so I'd really do some serious research before keeping them with angels.

Siamese algae eaters are highly overrated, in my opinion. I've had a few of them, and they'll pick at the algae some, but they don't live up to other people's reports. My theory is that there are actually several very closely related subspecies that are impossible to tell apart; some are exclusive algae eaters and others are generalist scavengers.

I recently put four panda garra in my Angkor tank. They go after the algae like crazy, and so far they are quite peaceful. (They're only about half grown) I've read that some of the garra clan can get aggressive as they get older, so we'll see. They also need a tightly covered tank, as they occasionally enjoy going for a walk.

I'm planning on putting a goodly school of otos in my Orinoco tank when the time comes. You can keep the glass clean easily, and not scratch up the glass, with an old plastic credit card, library card, driver's license.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Magic Eraser sponges or the equivalent generic work great at cleaning most algae from the glass. Just make sure to get the ones without any foaming or other cleaning agents in them. They're also safe to use on silicone seals.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Magi...ustomerReviews
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-20-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sending good luck to you and your fish - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Sorry you lost your angel.  You did all the right things.  Give yourself some credit and carry on! - angelcraze2   Congratulations and welcome home to your baby! - RiversGirl   so sorry to hear about your discus. I hope you can figure it out. - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I still vote for nerite snails, the only draw back is they might leave eggs on your plant leaves, hardscape and glass.
    Sounds like a horse a piece with these guys. Good cleaners with the exception of leaving their eggs behind. They are interesting!
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, cory cats, yo yo loaches, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, yo yo loaches, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

sending good luck to you and your fish - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Sorry you lost your angel.  You did all the right things.  Give yourself some credit and carry on! - angelcraze2   Congratulations and welcome home to your baby! - RiversGirl   so sorry to hear about your discus. I hope you can figure it out. - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Magic Eraser sponges or the equivalent generic work great at cleaning most algae from the glass. Just make sure to get the ones with any foaming or other cleaning agents in them.
    I have been using a handheld algae scrubber but recently picked up a MagFloat. Can't wait to try it and keep my hands dry ;)
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, cory cats, yo yo loaches, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, yo yo loaches, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I like the magic eraser sponges better because you can use them on the silicone without damaging it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    This pic will be in the March issue of Practical Fishkeeping Magazine. Quite proud hahaha !

Congratulations!