· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   

Default Betta's and Fin Rot and please help me ;3;

0 Not allowed!
    So I just got my betta Ares a few weeks ago; and it's looking like he's got pretty bad finrot, or ripped fins, or something awful.

tumblr_ojycs1c4Tl1qeh1xko2_1280.jpg

I'm a first time fish owner - and I have no idea what to do to help him.

I've done an 100% water change to try and get rid of whatever's eating his fins in a desperate panic attack frenzy to do something before I could get medicine or anything but now I'm stumped.

One website I've read told me to buy aquarium salt to put in his tank for a few days. So much a day, and then 100% water changes, and then repeat - so I sent my room mate to buy aquarium salt the next morning and he came back with BettaFix.

He told me the women at Big Al's told him using salt, and cleaning the tank out 100% a day was more stressful to the fish and that BettaFix is better and less stressful and fixes finrot. I had to leave for work, so I threw the recommended does in his tank and left. She also told him to take out the filter insert, and turn his lights off cause it'll keep him calm - which I did.

Now, a quick internet search is telling me that Bettafix is garbage and actually hurts the fish more than helps, and that I should get antibiotics, or do salt baths. And some people say just doing big water changes every few days is the best.

And I'm getting so much information from left and right field that I have no idea what to believe, and I'm back to square one on what to do.

I just need some solidish, not all over the place information of what to do.

15873148_10158154617280455_3671421082022067740_n (1).jpg

Ares' is in a 5 gallon tank, with a TopFin 10 filter.
    I do water changes every sunday, and it's usually probably about 10-25% and I put 10 drops of seachem prime as the conditioner.

I never checked the filter's cycle because I'm scared of putting ammonia and stuff in the tank with Ares in there; and despite sooo many readings I'm still scared I'll do a cycle wrong.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 01-19-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

3 Not allowed!
    Salt won't stop finrot. Big water changes are a must for a non-cycled tank. The stress of dirty water is much higher than the stress of a water change. If you don't keep a wound clean, how will it heal? Changing the water keeps the wound clean.

Go back to big al's and get paraguard and buy a freshwater master test kit. You need a test kit to properly cycle a tank.

You do not have to put ammonia. Fish naturally excrete ammonia from their gills.

Link on how to cycle with fish

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Last edited by Rocksor; 01-19-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Okay, I'll do that shortly; and I HAVE the test kit already - i just..haven't used it.

My filter media isn't in the filter right now though - thanks to big al girl and her advice. I'm guessing I should put it back in and test?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, never remove media, and never let it dry out.

The only time you remove media is to swish it around in old tank water, or treated tap water, to clean it.

What kind of media do you have?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    without a filter a daily 25%-50% water change is necessary to keep toxic ammonia and nitrite down.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Yes, never remove media, and never let it dry out.

The only time you remove media is to swish it around in old tank water, or treated tap water, to clean it.

What kind of media do you have?
    I have a top fin 10 filter and the media is like a spongy thing

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    without a filter a daily 25%-50% water change is necessary to keep toxic ammonia and nitrite down.
    So I just did a test and my ph is sitting at 7.6, ammonia is between .25 and .50
    Nitrites is at 0 and Nitrates are between 20-40 ppm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Do at least a 50% water change now. What water conditioner do you use?

Be sure to match tap temp to tank temp.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Do at least a 50% water change now. What water conditioner do you use?

Be sure to match tap temp to tank temp.
    I use seachem prime for my conditioner

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Very good.

Do you use a siphon or a bucket for WC's?