· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Need help stocking 55 gal tank

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have a 5 year old female convict cichlid who is dying. she quit eating about a week ago and with the help of my local fish stores I have tried everything to save her but they think she has dropsy. she is nose down and has been for 3 days. she has always been the only one in the tank so I don't have to worry about anyone picking on her and can just let nature take its course. My question tho has to do with what to do with the tank next. I am amazed that I can go to 4 different fish stores in my community and everyone has different advice. We really like the green terror so that is what it will be built around. one place told me as long as you stock them all when they are young you can have any fish you want...Another said to have one green terror, a couple red streak severum and a couple red head tajaros or a couple blue gourami. Another place said I could have a mix of the central american cichlids like a fire mouth, green terror, jack dempsey, convict, blue texas, red devil, electric blue acara or even an electric blue hap. And yet another place told me I could do a tank mix of african and central american. I am so confused right now that i am almost ready to go with guppies.....
    Please help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have any experience with cichlids, so have no suggestions toward your future stock. However, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you are losing your 5 year old convict. May she pass in peace.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

1 Not allowed!
    *Just want to preference that this is my opinion and results can vary
    I can make comments on the Central American Cichlid options. I would weed out Green Terror because they get huge! They require a 100 Gallon tank when full size. I personally do not like Jack Dempseys. This is because they are extremely aggressive (killed multiple tank mates) and NEVER came out. Every night at 11 o'clock he would come out of his driftwood but would between 7 A.M. & 11 P.M one might think that it was an empty tank. Some people like them and have luck with them but I ended up returning mine to the local fish store. If you like Convicts then a Convict only tank may be something you would enjoy. If you are looking for something new you may want to do firemouth cichlid tank. When it comes to cichlids and 55s your best bet is species only tanks. I kept 2 firemouths and one Convict. It was nice, but I wish I just would have kept one species to see them interact with each other.

The advice given by these stores seem to more financially motivated than they are about the proper care of the fish. I would be wary of asking any more advice from then and would stick to AC to help you and give you honest advice.
    Last edited by waylon101; 01-19-2017 at 03:24 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    Also I'm sorry to hear about the loss

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    A female green terror would be fine in a tank that size. For a male, it could outgrow the 55. I have a 3-4 year old male, and it is between 8-9" in total length which is at the limit for a tank that size. I know he will still get bigger so he will be moved in the next year. Green terrors need turning space, and the total length of the fish should be no more than 75% of the width of the tank, typically 55g tanks have a width which is roughly 12".

You can sex a green terror at small as 2" in total length. The females will not be as green as the males, and the lines on the jaw area look smeared. With a female green terror, you can add a bunch of dither fish like Buenos aires tetras (x 20), and bottom feeders like cory cats.

If you have no experience in cichlids beating up each other, I would avoid putting more than 1 aggressive cichlid until you can get a 6 foot long tank.

Avoid the fish store that states you can put all of the following, they just want your money:

"one green terror, a couple red streak severum and a couple red head tapajos or a couple blue gourami"

"fire mouth, green terror, jack dempsey, convict, blue texas, red devil, electric blue acara or even an electric blue hap"