· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    good idea!

BTW there is a fish club that meets in Alsip. I know you are new, but its a great place to meet with people in the hobby-a lot of which breed many fish including angels (some beauties). There is a auction going on this Sunday the 22nd, I don't need any fish but I will go and check it out just in case, lol

You can come to meetings as a guest.

http://www.greenwateraquaristsociety.org/

I think there is also a central Illinois club that may be closer to you.

I actually drive from Grayslake to Alsip when there are weekend events or on Friday meeting I go from work in Chicago to Alsip which is slightly less traveling time, but I enjoy the meetings.
    Last edited by Boundava; 01-18-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - angelcraze2   

0 Not allowed!
    Coolness on the auction - bit too far for me to drive - it's like 3 hours each way.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC. You are getting terrific advice. I'm glad you've found us. I'm looking forward to following your project.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a neon ;-) - steeler58   Sorry about the cory. - Slaphppy7   A frog for your collection - Silbar   winner winner chicken dinner! - BluewaterBoof   Have a Rummy nose ;-) - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Monkey View Post

I'm excited to get home & test the PH again - I think the peat is going to do the job
    Some advice I've been given in the past, the ph from my tap is about 7.8, is that using peat will definitely lower the ph, but the fluctuation you will get during water changes, before the peat has had a chance to lower the new water, can be detrimental to the inhabitants. Fish can adapt to a higher ph easier than they can tolerate large ph fluctuations. I keep fish that may prefer softer water but can tolerate a bit higher as long as there is consistency. The only real effective way to do that is to use RO water premixed with some tap to obtain the desired ph and not cause the high fluctuation. I think your tap should be fine as long as you figure out what's causing the steep incline in ph and get it out of there. The advice to bypass the softener is good though. Others on this forum know a ton more than I do but I've learned so much from them that I am much more confident than I was 2 years ago when I got back into the hobby.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!

I added volcanic rocks - maybe a quart to assist with anerobic nitrate conversion - if I ever get any nitrates.
    Anaerobic means without oxygen so your tank is not an environment lacking o2. So anaerobic bacteria will not colonize the lava rock aerobic bacteria can though. Which is responsible for ammonia and nitrite conversion into nitrates. The only way to remove nitrates is through water changes also heavy planted tanks will covert some nitrates.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 01-19-2017 at 02:31 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all you mermen & mermaids out there - noob from central illinois here.

I am always working on something - & thought I'd see what I can do in the tank world.

My goal was to get the biggest craziest tank I can for as little money as possible. Believe it or not - if you work at it, you can do it!

I started out with research - darn near everything you could ever need is on youtube - my plan started to come together little by little.

I had an old 50g tank in the garage from one of my son's lizzards - no fish stuff - just the tank. I thought it would make a good sump for something really big.

Started my craigslist search - tons of tanks - even really big tanks out there - all very expensive. But if you check every day, even several times a day - on occasion something will pop up & you have to snatch it up before anyone else see's it.

I found a 110g Oceanic with stand, protein skimmer, UV light, glass lids, tank light, rocks, live sand & a few other bits & pieces $100 cash.

It was full of salt & a NASTY mess, weighed 200lbs - 6ft long, in the guys basement - he was glad to be rid of the thing & I got a deal, but I had to work for it! Got it home & started cleaning - took maybe 2 or 3 days to get everything cleaned up. Then it was time to start the fun!

I've got it all set up now & have started the first cycle - I'm using the sump & trying different techniques to adjust the water. waiting for more bio-balls to show up, built my own siphon water return, glass dividers/ bubble trap in the sump etc etc.

So far I'm really happy with it - just working through the first cycle & trying to get the PH down so I can put in angel fish!

Right now I'm at about $250 total investment - that includes new 880gph pump (total over kill), air pump, led lights, bio-balls, glass dividers etc.

Planted tank - large rock pile on the left - gravel substrate - small rock pile in the middle -

I will add pictures if someone tells me how
    Hey! Currently living in Missouri but I'm from Decatur Illinois!
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   DT runner up-you deserve a cookie! - Boundava   Thanks for the Birthday wishes. - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC...
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'd read online that the volcanic rocks would eventually host anarobic bacteria - in fact you can buy them online for that purpose. I dont know if its true or not.....will take 6 months to get everything right on this tank so who knows! But i have room in the sump & i had the rocks & it couldn't hurt so why not!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have been looking at my large rocks. There are a couple that look like eroded limestone. Once i find a few more large granite or slate rocks ill replace.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    If they are indeed limestone, they need to come out
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast