· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Yellow Labidochromis

0 Not allowed!
    I am thinking of getting 3-4 of this yellow cichlids but I want fish that swim near middle of tank to see colors, not ones that stay in rocky areas or plants near bottom essentially hiding. Do these swim around or hide? Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Hey and welcome to AC.

I take it you have set up a tank for Malawi cichlids.
    Have you read up on the m to f ratio to help with aggression, also recommending stocking for other species? Also what is the stocking plan for the rest of the tank?? What the Tank size?
    From what I have seen with these species they do tend to wader the 2/3 to lower section of the tank. And are very hyper active IMO.

IME with other types of cichlids for me Tanganyika nothing stayed hidden in vast rock bio tope, unless a female was trying to get away from the male. Spawning/ guarding fry. Other wise the whole tank was hyper active once they all settled in. A lot also comes down to stocking, and correct species chosen so that they are inter compatible.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks.
    Is it easy to differentiate males from females? Will my local store be able to tell? Anything I can look for? I understand 1 male with 3 females would be okay.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    I personally do not trust a lps or lfs as far as I can through it when it comes to the fish selection.
    Good old Google works the best. Tons of info out there.

Have you set the tank up to suit the labs.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

3 Not allowed!
    Why not get gold barbs with golden gourami rather than trying to force yellow labidochromis to swim in the middle layer of the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Gold barbs are great fish, get at least 5-6 as they are social. Had a bunch and they were super social, peaceful, and stayed together and were very active. I also loved the coloration as the males and females (to a lesser degree) get some nice splashes of red on them. Honeys are OK but not as active as the barbs would be. My Honeys come out mainly for food, and they keep mostly to themselves.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore