· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Another add:
    Try to find peroxide with no additives. The peroxide I use for my tanks has one non-medical ingredient: purified water....so it's safe.

I really couldn't find any info on full tank dosing with peroxide, but I found instructions for swabbing or using as a bath.

Hydrogen Peroxide

3% Hydrogen peroxide can be used to treat certain fish diseases, such as Saprolegnia (fungus) and Fin Rot. It can either be applied directly to the wounded area, or used diluted in a bath.

What concentration to use?
    When applying directly onto the fish, use full strength 3% hydrogen peroxide. Do not let it touch the gills as this can be deadly. When bathing the entire fish in hydrogen peroxide, use diluted 3% in water for a short term soak.
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-16-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldiemaboi View Post
    Hello! I will take your word for it and use kanaplex right after I get it. And I have news about the tank: I'm getting a bigger one! I made space for a 75 gallon tank (or maybe even bigger, I have to measure the counter again) so I'm going to get the tank as soon as I can and start cycling it. I will also get the peroxide today, thank you!
    Counter?.............
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, there's this countertop in my room that isn't used for anything besides placing things.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Another add:
    Try to find peroxide with no additives. The peroxide I use for my tanks has one non-medical ingredient: purified water....so it's safe.

I really couldn't find any info on full tank dosing with peroxide, but I found instructions for swabbing or using as a bath.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you so much! I got a 2.5–3.5% hydrogen peroxide because even though I've visited 5 different pharmacy's, I couldn't find a 3% one! If I dilute the peroxide I bought with water, will that be safe for the fish? I'll also ask my mom to read the ingredients because I can't really read Japanese lol

Oh, also, am I allowed to put the peroxide straight into my tank and not a hospital tank, so that the whole tank is treated and it will prevent him/her from being harmed again? If so, how long can I keep the peroxide in there before having to do a water change?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldiemaboi View Post
    Yes, there's this countertop in my room that isn't used for anything besides placing things.
    Beware, a 75G tank weighs around 850 pounds when filled...that's not counting substrate, deco, etc
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    You can start with 3% peroxide, 6% peroxide, 100% peroxide, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that the end amount of peroxide you put into the tank stays the same. That basically means that you'll be adding more 3% peroxide than if you had bought 100% peroxide, of which you'd add very little. It's all simple math, basically.

You could definitely add hydrogen peroxide to the main tank. Since you've got a single fish anyways, separating it into a hospital tank seems unnecessarily stressful and the only benefit would be reducing the amount (and therefore cost) of medication needed (many fish meds are dosed based on water volume). You'll need to adjust the amount of H2O2 based on the tank size though.

Remember that H2O2 is a strong oxidizer that breaks down rapidly. It will kill bacteria for a hew hours, but won't permanently disinfect your tank nor solve underlying water quality issues.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    madagascariensis, the OP asked if peroxide can be used at the same time as aquarium salt.

I suggested salt, but don't know about dosing the tank with peroxide, do you know if the two can be used at the same time?

I'm under the impression peroxide oxidizes when in contact with light, and that it would disappear quickly. Salt will stay in the tank until you water change it out; salt will not evaporate. So I think the answer to the question is yes, but would love to hear what someone familiar with whole tank dosing had to say.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    You can use peroxide at the same time as salt. I've used 3% peroxide in a bath using 2 teaspoon per gallon for up to 30 minutes. I've captured larger fish in a larger 8 foot tank with no issues.

There's no point in really using it long term since it degrades in less than 24 hours. It can cause a mini-cycle if your tank if your biological filtration is lacking or borderline barely able to support the bio-load.

The cause for fin rot is common in every aquarium, so killing the bacteria causing it become moot because the bacteria will come back again. I find dosing a tank as small as a 10g as moot. It's up to the fish's immune system to keep that bacteria from taking a hold.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 01-17-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

2 Not allowed!
    This countertop you'll be putting a filled 75-gallon tank onto -- is it a countertop with a cabinet below it? Are there sufficient vertical support beams beneath it to accommodate that much weight? Are they sturdy beams? You wouldn't want this countertop to collapse under your tank!

If not, I suggest you shore up that countertop with strong support beams properly constructed and installed.

Congratulations for being so conscientious in trying to care properly for this fish. You've obviously done some researching and you are using a good test kit. In an emergency, sometimes it's impossible to learn right away all one needs to know, but you are taking the time and making the effort to do so. You obviously care about this fish.

As has been suggested, try to find a large pond for it. The goldie will be happier and healthier, and you can use your larger tank for fish better suited for it.

What have been your parameters PRIOR to changing the water? From what you've posted, it appears that tank has already cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates of only 5ppm. If those are accurate and consistent, you're good to go.

If the filter came with the tank, it may already have cycled media in it, from previous usage. That would explain why your parameters have stayed consistently good. If it's a new filter with new media, I suggest you obtain some cycled media from your LFS and put it in there. That would help speed up the cycling.

Was this set up already established when you had to take it over? Or is everything new? It would make a real difference.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    As has been suggested, try to find a large pond for it. The goldie will be happier and healthier, and you can use your larger tank for fish better suited for it.
    Is 75g not big enough for my goldie? Should I get a bigger-sized tank? It'll be hard to fit a much bigger tank than that but I'll figure it out if it's best for my fish.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    What have been your parameters PRIOR to changing the water? From what you've posted, it appears that tank has already cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates of only 5ppm. If those are accurate and consistent, you're good to go.
    I made a [very stupid] mistake and I tested the water after the water change. I will check after I get home, as I am in school right now. I will let you know the parameters then.

Unfortunately, I had to get new equipement (the tank, the filter, the heater, etc.) because the owner before me wasn't using any of those things! Well, he was using a heater but I bought the 10 gallon tank and the heater was too small so I had to buy one suited for a 10g. So sadly the tank is not cycled (but it will be fixed after I get a bigger home for him/her).

Typing all of this makes me realize what a terrible owner I am