· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Hope your betta settles in soon. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the new fish and tank. - Silbar   

Question Good plant types for small tanks?

0 Not allowed!
    I'd like to eventually add some live plants to my 5-gallon tank for my betta... who doesn't have a name yet (open to ideas). Preferably something that is slow growing and easily managed. The tank currently has a little over an inch of gravel and some artificial plants.

I'm thinking a moss ball or a type of grass... something the little guy can easily weave through... Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

2 Not allowed!
    I love Water Wisteria for low tech set ups! Its a beautiful plant that takes minimal lighting and does not always require aquarium fertilizers. There are other simple options like Ludwigia and Banana Plant

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Hope your betta settles in soon. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the new fish and tank. - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    I love Water Wisteria for low tech set ups! Its a beautiful plant that takes minimal lighting and does not always require aquarium fertilizers. There are other simple options like Ludwigia and Banana Plant
    Banana plant... I've never heard of that one. I'm looking them up now... :)
    ~~~~~~~~

"I just wanna have coffee and pet my dog."

5-gallon & 2-gallon:
    3 male guppies

~~ ~~

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So, it looks like the banana plant would be a great plant to start with. Thanks for the idea!
    ~~~~~~~~

"I just wanna have coffee and pet my dog."

5-gallon & 2-gallon:
    3 male guppies

~~ ~~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

3 Not allowed!
    If your gravel is fine enough to anchor plant roots, Cryptocoryne is another option to consider. Most species, especially wendtii types, stay low and grow slowly. Anubias nana also is a slow-growing, compact plant if you have some hard surface (driftwood, rough stone) to mount it to.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I have an anubias carpet in my nano. As long as you don't bury the rhizome. The roots dig into the substrate. Betas like to rest on the Banana plant leaves and you have to be careful with plants that they are gentle enough not to damage your beta's fins. Have you seen the red tiger lotus?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-15-2017 at 06:08 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Wisteria is a great plant, easy and fast growing and usually inexpensive. But it will require constant trimming in a small tank. Those trimmings can then be replanted giving you many nice plants to fill out parts of the tank. So if you up to it, it's worth a try.

I agree with the suggestion of crypts as another option as well as anubias. Java fern is also a good one and like anubias will have to be tied or glued to driftwood or rocks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFox View Post
    So, it looks like the banana plant would be a great plant to start with. Thanks for the idea!
    Yes its an interesting little plant! Also I agree with Angelcraze's suggestion, anubias is one of my favorite plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Wisteria is a great plant, easy and fast growing and usually inexpensive. But it will require constant trimming in a small tank. Those trimmings can then be replanted giving you many nice plants to fill out parts of the tank. So if you up to it, it's worth a try.
    Yea get ready to have to discard those trimmings after replanting so many in a 5g. This plant grows like crazy and is very nice looking so win win.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    I find wisteria does far better in hard water. In soft water, it grows thin and delicate. Guess that would be good for the beta's fins though....
    Beware of the words "if you're up to it". This plant will take over your 5g of your not on top of weekly prunnings! But it is easy to grow and pretty.

I like the java fern suggestion as well. I like the narrowleaf variety the best. There are other grassy looking easy to grow stem plants like hygro agustifolia. It would make a nice background plant when planted in a group. Stem plants, you just snip the tops off and replant them. The tops will grow new roots and the cut stem will grow new shoots. I think a beta might appreciate some floating plants with long hanging roots as well, maybe float some brazilian pennywort, try frogbit, salvania or dwarf water lettuce. You'll be throwing this out too weekly. Very fast growers. The latter is quite large for a 5g, but they grow nice long roots that can be trimmed of need be, so I think 4-5 nice sized plants would be good in a 5g.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat