· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    **** Update ****

I have the lights off in the room and have been watching the fish. He hasnt gone to the surface at all. When the room light was on he was up there. He's not sitting on the bottom either. He's like hovering about an inch to two from the bottom. Its hard tell exactly (because its dark) but there is some mouth activity going on..like he's takin the water...not like hyper-activity suckin in..but still.

Anyway...I read a couple posts that I shouldnt need to do another water change today...umm...with in 24 hours if there wasnt a known water problem.

True ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    If there is no big changes in water parameters from testing then you should be well and truely safe till tomorrow.

1 Not allowed!
    Howdy Folks....

Well thankfully...Goldfish made it through the night.

Looks like the 50% water change and the extra airstone helped.

I was thinking about doing another change today...but I just did the tests and everything looks good.

Ph = 6.4
    Ammonia = 0 (Yellow )
    Nitrite = 0 (light blue)
    Nitrate = 10 - 20 (regular Orange)
    (Not exactly sure which one...on the chart they both look the same)

Sooo...do you concur at leave it?

Note: I was concerned about the 6.4 ph reading...but..its been that way since I first started this thread...ergo...the fish has been used to that now...and what I've read says...dont alter it. What with the extra airstone in there now..the oxygen level should be okay. Agree?

Thanks

Johns

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey John,

Sorry for the late reply.
    Sounds like he is on top now. Very positive news.
    If things seem to be okay now keep a eye on it, though the testing and visual.

mac

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy Folks....

So tonight I did the cycling testing on my goldfishes bigger tank...still in the works.

I'm curious to see if I'm reading the results right.

Using the API Master test kit chart ...well...Im not sure what the PH is at.

I his current tank has been reading a steady 6.4 (that light green) or a while, but the new tank testing tonight came up with a...blue ish color. Not as dark as the 7.6 on the chart. Actually, it looks kinda like the 0 ppm for Nitrite.

Anyway...I've taken a couple pics of the results for your viewing and describing pleasure.

What do you make the reading at?

The tubes are left to right: ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hey John,

The Ph looks like it's 7.2 through my phone screen.

As for the rest they look spot on for a finished cycle me.
    Sorry if I have asked before what is the Ph out of the tap??

You must be edited to have the new tank done.

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy Mac...

Thanks for the reply an all i gotta say is...THANKS MAN!

I dinna give my ol goldfish a stroke bc you asked the Question about whats the tap ph? I hadnt done that yet. (Gasp)

I did now....and it went BLUE...Fast ! Like in the picture I posted.

Point being...blues are in the 7.2 and up. As noted..current ph is 6.4. If i learned anything yet is that if i put him in that mix...not good.

Given that....and that Ammonia and nitrates are zero, as they were last week...I'm thinking that the tank may have not cycled properly.

Thoughts, Sir.?

J.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    According to the photo the nitrate test shows to be at 5.0ppm. Which would mean its cycled as long as it stays stable.
    ph wise seeing that is what the tap water is, that makes sense. So that rules out anything in the tank changing the ph.
    For me I see no real big issue with changing the fish over to the cycled tank. Just take time to temperature acclimatise him. And also to acclimatise him to the new tanks water as well.
    Main thing with ph is it the be stable. With a fluctuating ph that is were the danger is, that and big extremes.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Just take time to temperature acclimatise him. And also to acclimatise him to the new tanks water as well.
    Main thing with ph is it the be stable. With a fluctuating ph that is were the danger is, that and big extremes.

Okay, not much to worry about on the water temp because both tanks have been heated to the same temps.

...ummm...back the that ph thing though. Given that his current tank is 6.4-ish and the new tank is 7.2-ish...from what Ive read about ph changes...is that not an extreme change? I think I read something like even a change from 6.4 to 6.6 is a big change.

Also, how do you aclimate him to the new tank water, please?

Thanks.

John

PS: ha ha - check it out...I tried that Use a Quote function. Cool. It Worked !

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It is a change. But that were stability comes in better.
    See extremes are what needs to be avoided. Changes like sudden rises or drops in Ph. Instand dropping of fish into the water with out acclimitization.
    IE Ph of 6.0 like in my Asain black water Bio to say 8.0 in my Tang tank, also in my other tanks which are 6.4 and 6.8. There is two very big extreme which would not work very well. Kh and Gh are set differently by the acid verse high alkaline water. And also three others with less extreme changes.
    The Asain tank of mine has peat and drift wood to get it to suit what I need. And the Tang tank has been modified. Tap water is 7.4- 7.8. And the tank has shells and lime stone in it to raise the alkalinity up to suit the Tanganyika cichlids. So thats two extreme.

So back to what I was say stability and avoiding changes. Its changes of ph which they dot like. IE sudden changes. Fluctuations which happen fast not over long periods of time.

To swap fish from my other tank excluding the Tang tank all I do is fill up either a bag or bucket. I prefer a fish bag cause I can watch the fish in the bag Place that in a bucket.
    I fill the bag up half full with original water and add the fish. Then use some clear air line pipe cause a syphon from the tank to the bag. Then tight a knot in the end which is going into the bag. Now don't tie a not to tight that nothing comes out but a few drops a second is all you need. That way the fish can acclimatise to changes. Fill the the bag with the same amount of new water as old water. Then fit the bag to float in the top of the tank for a while then release. I do this over about a 1hr period of time.

Hope the I explained what to do well enough.

mac