· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Hmmmm interesting,
    Details line up very well in regards to paramiters appart from nitrate. There should be a small amount showing. On my card scale it should be 5 showing. Which is leading me to think two things.
    Possible test error. And also how long since you did the water change did you re test the water?

As for the gold fish what other visual signs do you see? Rapid breathing? Dose he eat? How has the air stone helped him out??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Does your tap have ammonia?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    Yah.....Slap & Mac on board. Cool !

...and now that I have the test kit I can answer both your questions.

@ Mac. - Re: Nitrate....I just retested it. It came out yellow again meaning...Zero. The water has like dark yellow color to it as opposed to the orange of 5.0 ppm.

Re: Other visual signs...aside from the afore mentioned...None. No parasites or ich of fungus or fin rot...nothing disease apparent. Re: Rapid Breathing..No, not that I can tell. His breathing, while hes sitting there is more like I would say as Low Key....not big gasping breathes....or quick continuous ones Is he eating? - Well...I havent feed him yet today but the past hour he has been going about looking for food like he usually does...accompanied by those resting breaks in-between, so yah...I'd say he's still eating. Has the extra airstone helped? I'd say...Yes. It took like 3 hours..but since I put it in, I'd say that he has been more active.

@ Slap -Re: Ammonia...just tested the tap. No...the water test came out yellow-ish. Stretching it would be 0.25 ppm.

You know...its like I mentioned. Until his big tank gets done, and current one gets cycled I've been doing the water changes like instructed. Thursday the tests showed that cycling happened. Last night he was acting fine. Today...when I came out and he was sitting there and I thought he was still sleeping till after 20 minutes err so he hadnt moved much. I was all..Huh??

Hope this helps.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Can you get a vid of the tank and fish for us to see?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    *** Update ****

(Previous message was written approx an hour ago)

Perhaps the water change and adding the extra air stone, this morning has kicked in.

I've been watching him for the past hour and hes been acting ..dare I say...normal.

He hasnt stopped swimming about. Hasnt taken a rest on the bottom. Hasnt come charging up from the bottom so that his head comes out of the water.

I'm attributing this activity to him knowing its dinner time.

I dont know if he's out of the clear...or have any explanation as to his actions up to this point.

...but...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's ok.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Can you get a vid of the tank and fish for us to see?
    Even some pics would be nice

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Glad to here back that the air stone has helped a bit.

From the sounds of things the gold fish seems okay, with the disrciption.

One thing which I would watch though is your tap water just keep a eye out once in a while that it dose not cause any issues with ammonia spikes.
    Seeing that there is no nitrate is an wondering if the cycle has actually crashed some how? Or before the 50% water change there was a spike in something.

1 Not allowed!
    Howdy Again...

@ Slap - I cant really take a video now because he is sufficiently recovered that when he sees me...he acts like he does when its feeding time....hounding the corner where i usually drop his food or along the side of the tank where im standing. But I have included a still below.

@ mac - You know...for lack of a better reason...perhaps you may be right about the spike or crash. I dont know. Again...two nights ago i tested the water and it finally showed as cycled. Last night he was fine. This morning...much different behavior.

Now...in my searching today for help I came across acouple things...both may be related...namely...oxygen and ph. I've been posting that his ph has consistently been around 6.4. You guys didnt seem alarmed at that. Today I came across this article that states:

Oxygen Deprivation of Goldfish
    Observable Symptoms

In order to thrive, a goldfish requires a good amount of dissolved oxygen in its tank water. When oxygen levels in a goldfish tank are low, goldfish can suffer from oxygen deprivation, leading to the death of the goldfish. The most noticeable symptom of oxygen deprivation is a goldfish that gasps for air near the surface of the water. That being said, goldfish with certain goldfish parasites or suffering from other poor water quality issues like a pH crash include gasping as a symptom. By testing for dissolved oxygen, oxygen deprivation can be diagnosed or excluded as the cause for this symptom.

I actually dont have a specific range for ph of a goldfish. I heard it can go from 6.5 all the way to 8, with a 7.2 being good. So...mine being at 6.4...could low ph be a contributor?

Also...regarding gasping for air...do you guys have a good video that shows this? I came across this sad video that may show a fish doing this on the bottom of his tank.

My fish wasnt doing like that at the bottom. Do you have one about gasping at the top?

I'm just wondering if this problem was indeed due to an oxygen problem.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That is a very good acticale. The one thing is its actually given me a reminder that I had forgotten.

Through the cycle to ph can fluctuates and isn't ultra stable till after the cycle.
    That and some lack in surface agitation could be the issue leading to the lack of air.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Mac...

Okay...that ph thing being reminded of....and...

Coupled with possible gasping for air at the surface. Thing about that is ....I'm not 100 % certain what hes doing up there because when hes hungry what he'll do is skim along the surface with his mouth looking for food...which is why I'm trying to get a video of what gasping at the surface looks like...so I can differentiate between the two.

However...in the meantime....what can I do for him? I did a 50% water change at 11:30 this morning. Would it be out of context to do another tonight?

Thanks