· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

Default My second tank start up - a 125 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    I would love & appreciate all the advice & support that you can all offer as this is my 2nd tank and I'm doing things a little differently this time; hence the reason I need your advice because I'm so new with this yet ;)

The tank (125g) was set up 12/27/16 (gravel, water, filters, heaters, lights) Nope....no fish! ;) Not doing that again..
    I was doing some reading about cycling in hopes of speeding up the process. Yes, I was getting antsy, can you blame me . I was then informed from my lfs to add stability once daily to assist in this process. After some review I thought, ok, what can it hurt..adding bacteria to jumpstart the cycle, yup, makes sense.
    For the ammonia source, I wasn't sure about adding pure ammonia initially, because I wasn't sure how sporadic my ammonia levels would be so I've been using fish flakes (2x daily - and of course I already had this on hand). I was recently told in this forum as well to use pure ammonia but it's been so darn cold outside lately (-20 degrees), I'd rather stay home in my warm pjs. ;)

Every day I've been checking water parameters, although, they don't change much so apparently, I just like to waste money (doh). Here's a "rough" idea on my parameters: (so daily I've been adding fish flakes, stability, and flourish)

12/28
    pH 7.6
    ammonia 0-0.2
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0
    GH 7
    KH 6-7

12/29 - I added some marble queen, amazon sword, and red ludwigia (2 days and already tired of looking at an empty tank - no I will not add fish!)

12/31
    pH 8.0
    ammonia 0.2
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0

1/3
    pH 7.4
    ammonia 0.2
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0

1/6/17 - By this time, I was drawing more and more inpatient. I was wondering, what was I doing wrong? So I stopped using the Stability and Flourish, added a little more fish food than normal and turned the temperature up.

1/7
    pH 8.0
    ammonia 0.5
    nitrite 0.2
    nitrate yellowish-orange?

Tada!! We have a nitrite reading Yes, I was doing a little dance pretty close to this.

1) My first question - is it normal that the pH is all over the place? It honestly worried me a little because the fish I'd like to keep in here require a lot lower but I'm guessing it's just due to cycling because my other tank is holding at 7.4.

2) Next question - I've heard "NOT to let your ammonia get over 2ppm otherwise the bacteria will not be able to consume it fast enough", then you'll have to do WC, yadda yadda...but then I heard "the bigger your tank, the higher the ammonia should be". However, since my nitrites are visible, does my ammonia really need to get any higher? And how long do I feed the bacteria? I was never really good at chemistry

Besides, my tank is really dirty and it's driving me CrAzY!!! But no....I won't touch a thing ;)

Once my tank is cycled and I can add fish, I do have a few other concerns. I would like the main display fish to be Angels. I've mentioned in another post as well but I also like Discus and after watching some videos on youtube, I think I'm in love with the Blood Parrot but someone said not to put them with Angels. Could you guys please offer me some stocking advice. Thank you!!

Oh, I also bought 2pcs of mopani wood for the tank. Been soaking them since the 29th and also boiled a few times. And their still leeching. :( I'm not 100% certain I would even like the color of the water with the tannins. I heard you could use purigen to help remove the tannins once the wood is in your tank. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it safe for all aquatic life & plants?

Much & much appreciation!!!
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Name THIS pleco, lol - Slaphppy7   No Message - Boundava   Your Angelfish Tank - Boundava   'Cause the AC is your favorite book, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    OOps! Started in the wrong forum. Could someone redirect me Please. Thank you
    65g neons, black neons, serpae tetras, harlequins, zebra danios, ghost shrimp, cory cats, nerite snails, vampire shrimp

125g cory cats, nerite snails, flower shrimp, white clouds, angelfish, discus, pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Update

Today's stats:
    pH 8.0
    ammonia 0.5
    nitrite 0.5-1
    nitrate 0

My ammonia has been stable. Nitrites are climbing. Seems like things are going as planned. :) What should I be watching for in this cycle - ie, will ammonia continue to climb "while" nitrite is climbing until the nitrites consume all ammonia and then ammonia drops. I know it doesn't work the same for everyone but I'm assuming there's a certain chain of events that need to take place during the cycle.

Also, I keep finding these nifty little guys all over my tank. Cute, but annoying. I didn't set up a 125 gallon to house snails. I'm sure they hitched a ride from the plants (which is why I should probably stick with the top fin plants encased in gel instead - they grow beautifully and NO SNAILS). Anyone know anything about these guys?

snails in the 125g.jpg

One more thing....brown algae is starting to rear it's ugly head in my tank. Does it have something to do with the tank lights? Or the fact that the tank is by a window. Just to mention, the tank is facing East and we don't get much sunlight - directly that is.
    Last edited by fishlove; 01-08-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith   You needed a Angle Fish! - Plecos   congrats on the gorgeous tank - fishmommie   nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Can't help much I've always seeded my Tanks with established media and added fish 12hours later. Never lost a fish this way and never had ammonia be a problem. You just have to water test everyday.
    220g bala shark, tinfoil barb and silver dollar Tank.
    125g planted wild altum Tank

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Bladder snails, they reproduce like crazy.

It's normal for ph to fluctuate during a cycle.

It is much easier to control ammonia dosage with pure ammonia.

The amount you initially dose with deoends on how heavily you want to stock the tank, amounts over 2 ppm will not harm the cycle, I started with 4 ppm in my 40B.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm kindly requesting feedback as my tank continues to cycle.

Today's water stats:
    pH 8.0
    ammonia 0.5-1 (been stable pretty much)
    nitrite 2-5 (really taking off)
    nitrate 5 (finally visible)

If I understand this correctly, I can keep adding the same amount of my ammonia source to build more bacteria, which in turn will be beneficial if I plan to stock heavy. Otherwise, since my nitrites are pretty much off the charts, I can start withholding the ammonia source and just let it drop to 0. Is that right?

This is my first "proper" cycle and now that I have a better understanding of the importance of it, I want to do it right. First of all, I am very anal retentive and second, I have a tendency to become very inpatient at times.

TIA ;)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Thread moved to the Journals section, per the OP's request.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    You can stop the ammonia for a day or two and see if it goes to zero. If so, add back again.

Re the mopani - I boiled a piece 4-5 times a day for a couple of weeks. Seemed like it would never boil clear. I still got some tanins when I added it to the tank, but much less than when in boiling water and they didn't last long at all. They will not hurt plants or fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was sort of thinking that too, SueD (withholding the ammonia). The one thing that would make for a bad day though is if the cycle stalled and I was unable to get things back on track (I think I'm making this harder than it has to be!?).

I think I need to just keep telling myself - patience, patience, patience!

Thank you so much for your input. As far as the mopani wood, I think I'll continue soaking them until the tank is cycled and then add them to the tank and start my aquascaping.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    One thing I forgot to add was a photo of my tank as it is set up and going through it's cycle. Any input as far as stocking and hardscaping would be greatly appreciated!! :)

cropped 125g.jpg

Although there may be a few fish not suited for beginners, here are a few that I would love to have in this tank:
    Angels
    Discus
    Blood parrots
    Geophagus Winmerilli
    Silver Dollars (possibly)
    Bolivian rams
    Red phantom tetra
    YoYo loaches (my only reason for these is to eat the snails)
    Siamese algae eaters
    (and my pleco will eventually need to go in here too as he's getting bigger and bigger everyday - a 1/4" in less than a week )