· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Frozen food only

0 Not allowed!
    I have been into the tropical fish for a while and I learned that most community fish love frozen food compared to flakes.
    So For cichlids Can you Feed Only Frozen foods While Keeping A Big Variety Of Frozen foods. Only feeding pellets when somebody is watching them

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

3 Not allowed!
    What fish prefer may not reflect what they should actually be fed. Think fast food and humans. In the times before civilization, the human diet was inherently poor and rich in roughage, so humans adapted to crave high fat and high calorie food as these substances were in short supply. In the modern world where fiber is scarce and calories and fats are in excess, this preference has become our undoing.

Similarly, while aquarium cichlids might prefer fatty, protein-rich live foods, the diet of a wild cichlid would be much more varied and higher in plant matter (which well-fed aquarium cichlids might reject). Unlike humans, a fish would never choose to eat something less tasty for the sake of health, because it's a fish and doesn't know better. It would be hard to fulfil a fish's complete nutritional needs on the meager selection of live foods typically available to hobbyists. Over time, you may encounter dangerous nutrient deficiencies if you're not careful. Formulated pellets or flakes address this issue by being formulated (duh) to fit the nutritional needs of fish.

Additionally, since the fish strongly prefer live foods over pellets or flakes, it would be highly unlikely that regularly feeding a fish live food then switching to standard food for vacations would work. A fish accustomed to feeding on live foods would most likely reject prepared foods when presented with them, a problem people who keep wild caught fish should know well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Also another side note to help answer your question is understanding the diety requirements of the fish you keep.
    Which is very good to see your asking. I am amazed of a lot of the time people around my area do not really ask much or even care about the info. They think fish water bowl and hey presto.

Just to start of I am asuming since you have posted in the Malawi section that you talking about their dietary requirements, for Malawi cichlids.
    Not all of them strictly live on higher protein and meaty foods. Quite a lot in the wild consume a very varied diet of plant matter and algae to anything they are able to scavenge, which would mean, if their diet was to be changed over. To lets say three or possible 5 types of frozen food, they are losing out on a balance of nutrition! Seeing that they have a much wider area to graze in the wild, followed by more than likely heavy growth of algae, to plant mater, followed by what ever else is in the water, it would actually be impossible to impose on them, Frozen foods only, to keep up their bodies demands with out a weak link forming along some were down the track. The reason I say frozen foods is mainly because like all fish and animals if its possible to eat the best sweetest thing that they love the most they will do so. But doesn't always work out well for them.

As Madagascariensis has explained in very good detail. They need the supplementation, to give good health and varied diet like the wild.

IME i have had very little personal experience with the Malawi, found them colourful and vibrant fish. Really enjoy them. But way to plentiful were I come from, so no challenge really for me. So went Tanganyika for my cichlids.
    With them i have had days were they are not fed, and they do set out scavenging around the rocks sand. Some days I turn the lighting on to see big patches of algae on the rocks completely eaten away. The next day a small feed of food, which some times isn't even on there mind once they get into the rock work eating away. Then bang they dash for the food. While other times I even need to vacum up the food cause they are to intent on other food that they have found in the tank. Generally stray fry or micro invertabray.

IME its not worth the stress and risk to the fish's health in the long run, for some possible short term gain.
    A mixed diet of supplements, followed by once of treats every week or so is the best way, give them plenty in regards to a varied diet. Also helps keep their immunity high. Plus lessons the chance of parasites as well. Actually thats a very big point to is the cost it can insure trying to fix some prize fish from a parasite issue from frozen food.

Hope this helps,

mac

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    frozen food is messy, you are better off feeding a quality pellets.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit39 View Post
    frozen food is messy, you are better off feeding a quality pellets.
    Thread is starting to get a tad on old side.

RE though Frozen being messy I disagree. If they are prepared properly prior to feeding the tank, and not over fed then the fish will clean it up before it can get messy. No different than flake pellets ect.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Thread is starting to get a tad on old side.
    Agreed, OP has not replied in 3 months, thread closed.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers