· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Can anyone identify this mystery plant please??

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted but I hope everyone is well, including the fish and plants! I recently purchased a very nice Water Lettuce plant for my new 29 gallon open top tank and while I was cleaning off the roots I noticed this little plant was stuck in there. I pulled it out and washed it up as well, and threw it in the quarantine bucket with the rest of my new plants. It's had zero snails and grown quite a bit just in the last week, but for the life of me I have NO idea what this little guy is??? It's a cute little plant, and doing well so I'll gladly add it to my new tank. I put this topic here in stem plants because that's my closest guess lol, but I still can't figure out what species this is. Can anybody tell??

Just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die; just because you die doesn't mean you're gonna burn.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Hey stranger.

Mmm so small but the round leaves kinda look like some kind of rotala.

Possibly rotala indica?

Let it grow up and we will have the excitement of not knowing what it will be.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 01-06-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hmm I've never had any rotala before! I'll have to start doing my research. It's certainly doing well just floating in my quarantine bucket with ample CO2, ferts, and light. It's even beginning to grow new leaves now. I'll plant it in my new tank and see what becomes of it. I love that it has a nice deep purple trim around the edges of the leaves

Just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die; just because you die doesn't mean you're gonna burn.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I noticed the first two leaves are round but the inner leaves are much more spear-shaped, like that of an Amazon sword. I'm pretty sure this isn't an Amazon sword but those round leaves don't appear to be it's true leave. Rather I think they're just the first pair of leaves the plant formed after germination. Think of how an apple seed's first two leaves are round but it's true leaves are pointy. This plant almost reminds me of a ludwigia, but I could be way off XD

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Almost looks like anubia, but the roots are all wrong...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Could still be a rhizome plant without an obvious rhizome, it does look like one. When my anubias roots dig into the substrate, they turn white, just like the pic......
    I have no idea what that is, but am curious now. It looks like 50/50 anubias and hygro
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-07-2017 at 01:07 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    When my anubias roots dig into the substrate, they turn white, just like the pic......
    As a matter of fact, I had one do that, too

My question though is how did that plantlet get caught up in a floating plant's roots?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    As a matter of fact, I had one do that, too

My question though is how did that plantlet get caught up in a floating plant's roots?
    Plecos? I have to replant hygro rosanervig regularly from my water lettuce roots. Either bottom feeders kick it up or current.

I just thought of the cardinal plant. I found this
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ge=1&_k=76sdv4

It looks like that one is a rare variety. I think the elongated leaves represent the regular variety, but the dwarf variety has round green leaves. We'll have to see later as it grows.....cute little plant!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-07-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I agree with Amazon Joe: who knows! *shrugs shoulders* I'll plant it in my new tank I'm setting up and try to update as it grows. It almost looks like a terrestrial plant that germinated in water, once again who knows!
    I think since it's so tiny a bottom feeder must've uprooted it in the seller's tank and they didn't notice it in the water lettuce. I'm happy I got it though! Hooray for free plants!!!