· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Triton's Fishroom Build

1 Not allowed!
    I don't think I ever formally did a full breakdown on everything that went into the fishroom

Now that its complete(ish) the thread should bounce around quick. Many more upgrades still in the works... but as is its functioning well - and I'm open to 21+ questions about it :)

So the first thing to discuss is goals....
    1. More tank space
    2. Condense aquarium stuff to 1 area
    3. Use "waste" furnace heat (i think its waste, my wife is my that the rest of the basement is cold)
    4. Do this on a "budget" (originally around $1500-2000)
    5. Keep humidity low

Design Photo.JPG

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    The biggest thing you need to understand when doing a project like this is PATIENCE.. you cannot do too much research and cannot talk to too many people that have fish rooms.

Every person will tell you different experiences, mostly because every house / fish room is different.

The biggest fear is moisture => water damage.

My basement is dry, it is a 50 year old house that has a pour foundation that really has never had water issues. So with that in my I talked to a few similar minds and was advised that as long as the tanks are covered I shouldn't have any issues

Decisions I made:
    1. Filtration - sponge filters with a large air pump
    2. Heaters - in every tank for detailed temp control with a room temp controlling the most
    3. Insulation - see below
    4. Stands - combination of metal and 2x4
    5. Lids - a custom corrugated plastic made for greenhouses
    6. Drain system - pvc drains to the sump
    7. Fill system - sink in basement

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    So my first piece of advice... get a bigger vehicle...

IMG_5361.jpg

I had to move all the storage out of the corner, while this was going on I lost so much storage space
    IMG_5363.jpg

For the second larger load I had a good friend offer his full size van - #lifesaver
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453340412.388304.jpg

The pink insulation was the first up, it was notched allowing for furring strips to be used with tapcon's to anchor it to the wall
    12496030_1557676977888615_7856898315489860311_o.jpg

To keep score:
    Purchase 1: $371.80 : Pink Insulation, Furring Strips, Hammer Drill and Tapcons
    Purchase 2: $30.66 : Tapcons
    Purchase 3: $564.08 : Green Insulation, 2x4s and Drywall
    Purchase 4: $33.07 : $33.07
    Purchase 5: $247.69 : 2x4s (stands), shelving units, washers to hold insulation and moulding

To date cost: $1255.25
    Last edited by Triton; 01-06-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So coordination here was key... since my existing fish area was right where one of the walls was going to be put, I needed to get the 2 exterior walls insulated and then move a few of the tanks into the new room area to allow for the room to be built.

Over the 1.5" pink insulation I installed 1" green insulation of the exterior walls. While the interior walls got 2" green insulation.

IMG_5377.jpg

I used these as "washers" they are actually meant for people with plaster and lath to fix a broken lath board. The guy at lowes said he had never seen someone buy so many of them (6 boxes i think)

IMG_5378.jpg

IMG_5379.jpg

FIRST TANKS ARE IN THE FISH ROOM - my wife didn't find this exciting... but I just sat there smiling

IMG_5389.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Time for walls. I enlisted my father in law for this... I will warn you, if you have 2 engineers working on a problem it will take twice as long to finish, but it will be built like its meant for a hurricane

So this first wall was very hard to get lined up, square and straight. Just complicated retrofitting a square into a not square space. After realizing this and using some wedges it all worked out

IMG_5394.jpg

This is the mess that was stressing my wife out - if you consider building a fish room be sure you have a significant other that is understanding and is willing to put up with it.. but if they've stuck around this long with a fish nut I'm sure they are ok with it. My wife kept saying she was just happy it was all going to be condensed

IMG_5395.jpg

What my wife didn't know till after is that my father in law decided to make the room 6" larger in each direction for ease of working with the install :)

IMG_5396.jpg

IMG_5397.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So this next wall took some planning for multiple reasons

1. Large air duct right where the door was to go - solved using a 1x4 as the door header - extra support provided on the sides
    2. Hot water tank access - bumped the wall out enough that I could squeeze my whole body past the hot water tank - this allows access all around and reduces the chance of a fire risk if something were to happen
    3. Installing and locating the door so that we could have the laundry area outside of the room without issues

IMG_5399.jpg

My first look into my soon to be fish room from the doorway, you can see the duct work above the door frame we had to work around. I never wanted to have to duck to get into the room (I'm 6'2") so the lowest part is around 6'3"

IMG_5401.jpg

Walls are UP! I reused the door from a location in the house we had removed it, so that was a free cost

IMG_5402.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So at this point all walls have been built, it was time for drywall (exterior only) - mind you, this is not up to code. Code states that insulation needs to be covered by drywall, however I'm not planning to sell the house anytime soon, nor do I plan on having an inspection soon. If it did become an issue drywall could be added - but wouldn't be the easiest thing. My main hesitation at this point was not being able to monitor the moisture behind the drywall vs the insulation.

I purchased moisture resistant drywall, and turned it around so that the "green side" would be facing the fishroom.

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg

After the drywall was completed I attached molding to the top/bottom, taped the joints, some spackle and did a coat of white primer. Simple and easy. I finished the rest of the insulation and now it was time for the fun stuff - electrical, plumbing and eventual tanks.

IMG_5404.jpg

To keep score:
    Purchase 1: $371.80 : Pink Insulation, Furring Strips, Hammer Drill and Tapcons
    Purchase 2: $30.66 : Tapcons
    Purchase 3: $564.08 : Green Insulation, 2x4s and Drywall
    Purchase 4: $33.07 : $33.07
    Purchase 5: $247.69 : 2x4s (stands), shelving units, washers to hold insulation and moulding
    Purchase 6: $41.95 : Airline
    Purchase 7: $39.05 : Screws and Metal hanging strips
    Purchase 8: $97.89 : 40g Breeders (3)
    Purchase 9: $-11.67 : Return of unused materials
    Purchase 10: $0 : All plumbing and pvc material - free gift from one of my suppliers at work. Probably $200-300 in materials, if not more
    Purchase 11: $170.79 : Electrical and foam board for under tanks
    Purchase 12: $20.37 : Furring Strips and Metal Edging
    Purchase 13: $-20.15 : Return of unused materials
    Purchase 14: $750.00 : Buyout of other fish room (air pump, multiple tanks, stock, etc)
    Purchase 15: $290 : Custom Lids

Total Cost: $2633.48

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Time for the finishing touches. I ran a 2" air supply around the room, I could probably run twice as many tanks as I am doing with this. But it works well for not putting too much stress on the pump. I also installed drains in front of the tanks that work there way around the basement to the sump rather than out to the sewer.

For the stands I built 2 sets, 1 for 6-10g and 2-20g and 1 for 4-20g tanks. The builds were fairly simple and were done in 2 nights. I used foam under each tank to account for minor imperfections in the stands. The metal stands were similar to these (but with solid metal covering the holes on the legs): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-72-...5WGB/202067995

IMG_5427.jpg

I'm no carpenter... but it stands!

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

Tanks are finally all in and set up!!! Lots to put away.

IMG_5451.jpg

The fishroom has a lot of changes since this... but so far:

Stocks as of today:
    40g: L144a Plecos
    40g: Enterochromis Paropius
    40g: Koi Angel pair, L333
    40g: Gold Head Comp, Venezuelan Cories
    40g: Black Calvus 'white chaitika'
    30g (5): Remaining plant stock to be cleared out, TBD Fish/Shrimp Stock
    10g: Pygmy Cories
    10g: Panda Cories
    10g: Enterochromis Paropius Fry/Juevi