· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to fishkeeping (and beer)! - Slaphppy7   Congrats for FINALLY being cycled. - Slaphppy7   Here's a rummynose so you can look forward to getting them! Congrats on the cycle! - DebinWhitmore   Congrats on your first cycle and new fish! - Silbar   First fish in your cycled tank - RiversGirl   

Default Super Red Ancistrus

0 Not allowed!
    Since it's been about 5 months since I've seen the BNP I bought from Petco (who knows what health it had when I bought it) I'm thinking about getting one from TWS. I see they have a "super red" Ancistrus and it looks awesome. Does anyone know how big an adult super red gets? I tried searching the Internet but couldn't find much. Do all species of Ancistrus get to be the same size?? I have a 40B tank by the way.
    My First Aquarium Adventure - 40B Community Tank: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Man you must have a very well planted or well set up tank for hiding places, because my Ancistrus's are always out and about.
    From what i under-stand they are a sub bread selective bread type so I would assume that they around about the same size as a standard bn. Around 5-6in. All of mine over the years have reach around that size very well.
    One thing I have found with these is a bit of cucumber to pull them out of hiding works well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    You could keep a pair or trio in a 40 breeder, but waves of BN fry would eventually crowd out other fish.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus

125mm or 4.9" SL (without tail)

This species was known as Ancistrus sp(3) in the Cat-eLog from February 1997 until August 2008, it will likely still commonly be referred to under this name for some time and even its current designation is a little tentative. For these reasons we've left "sp(3)" as a common name. Several colour forms exist as well a long fin strain. The super-red form was first line-bred from the calico form of the common bristlenose in Germany. As is the way with the common bristlenose, they are pretty fertile and as soon as the pure strain got introduced into the market, it quickly spread across Europe and over the Atlantic. A long-finned variety was also line-bred from them relatively soon after that. There is some variation in the quality of the strain, a good strain produces 100% all-red offspring, less-than-optimal breeding stock (even if they are all-red) can produce a fair amount of offspring with some residual black markings.
    https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...?species_id=49

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to fishkeeping (and beer)! - Slaphppy7   Congrats for FINALLY being cycled. - Slaphppy7   Here's a rummynose so you can look forward to getting them! Congrats on the cycle! - DebinWhitmore   Congrats on your first cycle and new fish! - Silbar   First fish in your cycled tank - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks!! I will probably only get just one, so I'm not worried about fry.
    My First Aquarium Adventure - 40B Community Tank: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Very pretty variety of BN, if you get one we definitely need pics.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish on your wall.  This looks like a skunk loach, but it's really a panda garra. - WhistlingBadger   Good news with the RCS, congrats. - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I have pair of super reds. They have a cave full of eggs right now. This is their second spawn.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerfan View Post
    I have pair of super reds. They have a cave full of eggs right now. This is their second spawn.
    You must be very excited to have a fry on the way

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish on your wall.  This looks like a skunk loach, but it's really a panda garra. - WhistlingBadger   Good news with the RCS, congrats. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    my wife found babies abount a month ago. I got about 25 out of the tank and moved to another tank. not sure how many made it.They blend in so well with the Fluorite substrate in that tank. i use this tank as a grow out tank for plants I pick up or cuttings from others. Ill keep a close eye on this batch and relocate them also.