· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Howdy, Natalia! I was wondering when you were going to show up over here. Guess what--I think my scape is going to require some blue foam. But only to build up under the substrate a bit. No little carved blocks for this build. Lots and lots of woodwork, though. I'm not sure how easily it will sink, honestly. I don't plan on boiling, but I'm guessing I'll have to weigh it down for a month or two and/or silicone it to the bottom. Probably both.

Instead of the foam I would use something like lava rocks underneath the substrate-or gavel in nylon bags or knee hi stockings. The foam would have to be siliconed down and would be a big PITA if you ever needed/wanted to change the aquascaping. Bonus with the lava is it could hold some nitrifying anaerobic bacteria-or if you added an air stone-some aerobic bacteria
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Good thought on the slate--I happen to have a few old slate tiles left from the remodel last year.

Nat, my fear is that the substrate on the upper terrace would be too deep (4-6") and create an extreme anaerobic zone. Wouldn't lava rocks cause the same problem? Thought I'd just build up a couple inches to prevent that. Perhaps I could just weigh the foam down with slabs of slate to make it stay put...might have to experiment with that before I bury the foam, though. I could see that becoming a disaster...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    The foam is too buoyant, I thought the same with the background I built-it can't be that hard to anchor it, right? Yup it is full of air and a PITA to sink. Maybe if you put eggcrate down and glue river rocks or slate in the shape you wanted to the eggcrate?

Of instead of lava rock many just use plain gravel in media bags, or woman's hosiery to add hidden hills when scaping.
    Last edited by Boundava; 12-27-2016 at 06:06 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Spent a beautiful hour wandering the cedar ridges today looking for wood. Got checked out by a hawk...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Pretty country; lots of cool wood to choose from. Carrying this stuff a quarter mile down the mountain back to the truck was a bit of a workout, especially since I was also carrying my .22, just in case I jumped a rabbit. Bunny populations cycle hugely, and there are hardly any around this year. Bad year to be a coyote. Anyway, here's where I went:

PC270008.jpg

PC270009.jpg

Here's the tree:
    PC270010.jpg

That's my saw partway through. It may be weathered, but there was nothing rotten about it! Smelled wonderful, too!
    PC270011.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Came back with some really nice, picturesque pieces. Badgerling asked me, "How are you going to get those to fit in the tank?" I said, "I'm gonna have to push really hard." Then I explained to her that it's kind of like an art project: It's good to have lots of different crayons, even though you aren't going to use them all. I brought back a lot of wood so I'd have lots of choices. Whatever I don't use in the tank will go in the landscape or the wood stove. Nothing is wasted.

PC270014.jpg

PC270015.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice pieces.

So they came from a dead but still standing tree (s)?

Any idea of what kind of tree?...I could go back and see if you mentioned it, but a reply would be quicker
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks! It's Rocky Mountain Juniper (Juniperus scopulorum). These trees live to be very old (200-300 years is fairly common; I'd guess this one was well over a hundred), so the old part of the tree was dead, while the "younger" part (probably only a hundred years old) is still growing. They are really cool trees.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    A form of juniper tree, I see, that grows at relatively high altitudes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_scopulorum
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow gorgeous landscape and great looking weathered wood. I'm looking forward to this build.

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast