· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Wow, Joe, I just ordered that exact same powerhead this morning. I believe Nat (Boundava) uses them, too. Brilliant minds, indeed! ha ha ha
    Nope, sorry guys I use this one (actually 2 on the 75 right now), and used this one before (also had two on the 75 when I had the big tetras in the tank).

So you going to let the tank run for a few months to get the plants situated (dirt leached out a bit) before adding the fish? I would have some big problems without filtration, I would error on caution and just add a simple HMF filter to one side for added security and some BB.

Lol, tons of links in this post...

BTW-that wood is gorgeous! Will it sink with boiling or soaking, or is it something that you have to anchor permanently?
    Last edited by Boundava; 12-27-2016 at 03:57 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    He said he will silicone it to the bottom which is probably best since it will likely take a long time for it to become water logged.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Howdy, Natalia! I was wondering when you were going to show up over here. Guess what--I think my scape is going to require some blue foam. But only to build up under the substrate a bit. No little carved blocks for this build. Lots and lots of woodwork, though. I'm not sure how easily it will sink, honestly. I don't plan on boiling, but I'm guessing I'll have to weigh it down for a month or two and/or silicone it to the bottom. Probably both.

I like the looks of those Hydor pumps, but they're a little pricey. The Sunsun ones get good reviews (except that they tend to randomly reduce directions when the power goes off!) for 1/3 the cost. What can I say--I blame it on the Scottish ancestry. I have a little internal filter I can add for additional filtration if the plants don't do it, and I also could try the botanical filter. I'll probably sell the HOB on ebay--I just don't like them anymore. Too ugly, too noisy, too much space behind the tank.

Yes, I plan to set this thing up with just a few inches of water to let the plants grow immersed and get really established, and give the soil a chance to stabilize, before I add critters. I'll probably let it run at least a month--probably two-- and do at least one huge WC before I add fish.

Question: Will a good-quality 100w heater be big enough to keep this thing 10-20 degrees above room temp? I'd say it's borderline. I have two 100w's that I could put in, but I want to minimize hardware in this thing, and I've already got a powerhead and one heater.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Nope, sorry guys I use this one (actually 2 on the 75 right now), and used this one before (also had two on the 75 when I had the big tetras in the tank).

So you going to let the tank run for a few months to get the plants situated (dirt leached out a bit) before adding the fish? I would have some big problems without filtration, I would error on caution and just add a simple HMF filter to one side for added security and some BB.

Lol, tons of links in this post...

BTW-that wood is gorgeous! Will it sink with boiling or soaking, or is it something that you have to anchor permanently?
    I wouldn't have the patience to wait a few months, and stock slowly afterwards.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    He said he will silicone it to the bottom which is probably best since it will likely take a long time for it to become water logged.
    Yes. I plan on including some pretty big chunks in this thing, too. So it will take a while.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    I think that the aquascape is going to be really fun on this one, so I might be able to hold off. On the other hand, as soon as my water chemistry stabilizes, It's on! Walstad says she actually adds livestock almost immediately, but since I'm working without a net here, I want to really get some plants established first.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Yea no need to boil the wood if it has been sundried for centuries lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't silicone the wood to the actual tank glass, I'd use slate.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    ^^Yea probably good idea if you ever decide to redo the tank or use it for something else.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    That's probably the draw to this style? Pretty different then anything I've done. I usually wanna stock the tank with fish ASAP! Lol

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast