· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

Default South American Flooded Forest

6 Not allowed!
    As hoped, I received a 29g tank setup for Christmas. I'm planning on setting it up as another semi-biotope, this one based on the Orinoco system of South America.

General setup:
    29g tank; Walstad-style setup. This means no filtration ; just plants and a small 530 gph powerhead to circulate the water. Soil under Black Diamond sand substrate. 108 LED light fixture: Daylight/moonlight, nothing fancy, knock-off brand but appears sturdy and well built, and plenty bright enough for any plants I want to grow.

'Scape:
    Flooded forest aquascape. Black sand substrate; possibly terraced with a section of natural sand. Lots of vertical wood structure: I'm going to head out to the desert some time this week and try to find some old, weathered juniper roots and branches to play the role of tree trunks. Some smooth river stones around the roots.

Flora:
    Plants should include some of the smaller swords (melon, rosette), some sort of low-grower up front (possibly eleocharus mini...recommendations?), Java moss and ferns on the hardscape, and some smaller-leafed plants here and there for varied color and texture (maybe Alternatera reineckii 'rosaefolia'? recommendations?). Red-root floaters and/or Frogbit up top. As per the Walstad method, I want to start with at least 10 different plant species and weed out the less successful/less pleasing ones as time goes by. Thanks Amazon Joe for the recommendations so far.

If the plants don't keep the parameters optimal, I'm thinking about adding a very simple aquaponic-ish setup, with some smallish decorative and/or edible plants (peppers and well-trimmed tomatoes, most likely, this being South America and all) in peat pots along the top, roots trailing directly into the aquarium.

Fauna:
    2 Natural-colored Scalare Angels. I really want altums, but I don't think this tank is tall enough for them, and they're a fairly fussy species, needing more care than I am willing/able to give. Scalares are almost as pretty, close enough for the biotope, and a heckuva lot easier to take care of.
    10 Cardinal Tetras. I could do 20 Rubies, but I'm afraid the angels would eat them. Thoughts?
    5 Bandit cories.
    10 Otocinclus.

That's all for now...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new journal.

Angels may indeed bother the rubies, I'd stick with cards...get at least 6 of the corys, 8 even better, they stay pretty small.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    Sounds amazing so far I think with enough plants they will establish nicely and will create your natural filtration without the need for the aquaponic keeping the look of your tank kinda minimalistic? What lid are you going with the glass one ?

Also Vallisneria americana (jungle val) is found naturally in SA. So you could have that in the background flowing overtop the wood and branches.

I also found with a power head flowing through all the blades it creates the natural filtration.

I would also suggest some ghost shrimp to help clean up around and between the plants. Add them when the tank is real heavily established with plants get the biggest specimens you can find and give them luck to survive among the angels lol
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 12-26-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    So I got THIS power head off Amazon few months ago for the rainbow tank. It works well good flow and super cheap. Only draw back I have ran into is when you unplug and replug some times it reverses flow. So I just unplug and replug until it corrects.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the friend request and congrats on the new pond! - Silbar   I'm sorry you lost a loach and thanks for the rep. - Silbar   An angel for your future tank...power of positive thinking! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Wow, Joe, I just ordered that exact same powerhead this morning. I believe Nat (Boundava) uses them, too. Brilliant minds, indeed! ha ha ha

Nice idea on the val. I didn't like it in the Angkor tank, but it might work better with this one. Oh, and if I do any aquaponic stuff, it will indeed be very minimalist looking. Boof mentioned something in one of my other threads about Rachel O'Leary simply putting some "devil's ivy" in an HOB filter, growing right out the top, and it cleaned out her water so well it actually killed off all her beneficial algae and mosses. So, that has me thinking...why not a windowsill planter on the top, planted with herbs and/or veggies, with water flow from the tank going through it? Mrs. Badger does like the look of emergent plants. It's a thought.

Slap, I could probably get away with six cories. Seriously Fish recommends at least 4, and with 5 AqAdvisor has me right on the edge of overstocked. One of the tenets of a Walstad tank is fairly light stocking (like that's ever gonna happen in one of my tanks), so I'm trying to take it easy...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Slap, I could probably get away with six cories. Seriously Fish recommends at least 4, and with 5 AqAdvisor has me right on the edge of overstocked. One of the tenets of a Walstad tank is fairly light stocking (like that's ever gonna happen in one of my tanks), so I'm trying to take it easy...
    Well, I'll never have one of those types of tanks then, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Well, I'll never have one of those types of tanks then, lol
    Yeah, no kidding.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Yea you want to keep that bioload low as possible that's why I was thinking shrimps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    I can't really do much more designing until I get out and find some good, weathered wood. The wait is driving me NUTS! But it's good to take time to plan an artistic direction, and read Diane's book again just to make sure I get it right. I'm a bit nervous to do a "full Walstad" tank. It feels kind of like working without a net--even my 55g Walstad tank still has a filter. I'm excited to give it a shot, though.

As far as the look, I'm going for a drowned creek bank, if I can find the wood I want. I'm going to mostly use rocky mountain juniper for this tank--I know an area in the desert that has lots of really old (like a century or more, probably) dead branches and roots. I've been reading a lot about using found wood, and pretty much everybody says juniper is great as long as it's old enough to be weathered gray: It supposedly lasts forever in the water, and it definitely comes in some artistic shapes. There are about five whole mountains out there just covered with the stuff, so I'm fairly optimistic about finding what I want.

It should be warm enough tomorrow or Wednesday (high 20s--about as warm as it's going to get this time of year, I'm afraid) to get out and do some scavenging. I'll keep you all posted. T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    This stuff:

ju_01.jpg

There are hundreds of old dead trees like this. Can't wait to get out and cut some wood! woo hoo!

And yes, Joe, I'll probably silicone it to the bottom, then weight it down with rocks for a couple weeks.