· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Hope the betta pulls through for you. - Slaphppy7   

Default How to care for them

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a six gallon tank planned to put 1 gourami 8 neon tetras and 4 guppys I quickly learned that I am stupid for thinking that so I am settling on a betta and wondering what to feed I want to feed strickly frozen if ok I plan to have big variety of frozen. If they need little salt in there aquarium I might get something else. Could I put an electric blue crayfish in it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    You are not "stupid", you are asking questions and learning.

The betta will need a variety of foods, just frozen food may have too much protein...choose a good quality flake, and some pellet food, too.

Tanks not big enough for the betta and a crayfish, the cray would possibly hunt down and eat the betta anyway.

Just be sure to educate yourself on cycling the tank before adding the betta, or he won't live long.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I had 1 aquariums to cycle worked great.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Good advice. I would also research the type of beta you want. They have so many varieties now and some with very long fins will be beautiful but have a hard time moving around so you should plant the decor and filters accordingly. You can get away with a sponge filter or very small hand on filter-I recommend these and have them on 2 of my betta tanks (5.5 gallon tanks)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9821
    AZOO.jpg

Once you read more about cycling you will learn about beneficial bacteria and the media it grow on, the bacteria will grow on the white sponge-the black is a carbon sponge and you don't need it for everyday use, just when you want to pull medications out of the water. You won't have to throw that white sponge away-just rinse it every month or so in some tank water that you put in a separate bowl (my filters go 3 months without needing to be cleaned-bettas don't make big messes normally).

Bettas are a lot of fun and have big personalities. You can feed them by hand or tweezers-ours recognize the tweezers and know they are getting good foods (live or frozen).

Crayfish will definitely grow up to hunt the betta-its what they do in the wild, if they can catch it its fair game and bettas aren't the best swimmers especially in a small space.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It is a fluvel edge 6 gallon but the filter has a 14 time turn over rate really good filteration

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have a major backround in saltwater just starting fw aquariums in my room

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I feel freshwater is quieter for sumps in salt water it is sort of loud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That is a nice tank, one spoiled betta.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw007 View Post
    I have a major backround in saltwater just starting fw aquariums in my room

Well we have a few SW keepers here and many of us freshies are always interested in going to the salty side (with a tank or two).
    75 Gourami/Eel tank

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Please dnt feel "Stupid". When ever people take the time to plan about their stocking before buying any fish is so refreshing for us in the fish keeping world.

Just be sure to give plenty of Planting to help lower the water turn over rate of the Betta. Helps them a lot with less stress on them while they are swimming.
    Shame your leaving salt water, I am about to jump into keeping both fresh and salt.