· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Smallest shoal fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to use a new 30 gal tank someone gave me for a large school. What I can't decide is what kind of fish to use. I would like to get as big of a school as possible, so what are the smallest species that school? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
    My albino frog, Powder, is secretly a crackhead I think. Will post pics when I can prove it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because of you I saved a fish!! - 2manyfish   Thanks for all of the help that you have given me :) - squirt_12   to my new buddy - mitcore   For being you! - NickFish   Here is a hotdog for a good Freind! - Patriot   

0 Not allowed!
    I think cardinal Tetras are good schoolers btw don't forget to cycle it first.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    cardinal or neon tetra ^_^

tho it's almost the same

EDIT: added some stuff found on wikipedia for Cardinal tetra.

As the species is a shoaling species in the wild, groups of six or more individuals should be maintained in an aquarium. They will shoal with their close cousins neon tetras however, so a combination of these two species totalling at least six should suffice. The larger the numbers present in an aquarium (subject to the usual constraints imposed by space and filtration efficiency), the better, and large shoals in any case form an impressive and visually stunning display.
    Last edited by Azear; 11-28-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    If you are wanting small but impressive as you can keep them in huge schools.. try the Boraras Micros , Boraras Birgattae or Boraras Maculatus - they school very tightly

One of my bora's

And yes they really are that bright red color....

You could easily keep a school of 50 upwards in your tank
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice tank/good poster - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   Thanks for the TOTM props! - richberstler   to my new buddy - mitcore   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, cardinal's or neon tetra's are nice. The bora is nice too!

That's a beautiful fish fishalicious! Are they common in aquariums?
    Regards,
    KcEE

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunatly not many people seem to have discovered them yet... there are more than 20 types of mini rasboras (boras) in all colors (blue/green/red) and they really are wonderful - you can keep them in a small school of 10 even in the very very small tanks or in very larger numbers in larger tanks. They school very very tightly unlike many larger tetra counterparts so it looks really beautiful in the aquarium. The Micros is the smallest at just 1.3 cm / 0.51 inches.

I love them also as they are a bit different than what everyone else has so are always a great talking piece when people visit ;)

I think the most talked about mini rasbora of the moment is the Celestichthys margaritatus / Galaxy Rasbora

Due to this they are very pricey at the moment but they spawn very easily so you can easily breed a large number...

Other mini rasboras are very cheap so won't cut into your wallet too badly
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice tank/good poster - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   Thanks for the TOTM props! - richberstler   to my new buddy - mitcore   

0 Not allowed!
    BEAUTIFUL!!! I hope I can find them in the LFS's in my area.
    Regards,
    KcEE

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice. I was already considering tetras, but the mini boras is a novel idea too. Perhaps a school of each? Does anyone know about their compatibility?
    My albino frog, Powder, is secretly a crackhead I think. Will post pics when I can prove it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

heres a gift for you!!! - squirt_12   Here's To Your Great Info & Being An Awesome New Member! - MeganL3985   Always good posts - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    I, too, was going to suggest galaxy rasboras.
    36g corner bow, heavily planted with java moss, windelov, java fern, anubias barieri, crypts, anacharis, and african fern. 2 honey gourami, 9 cardinals, 4 neons, 5 cherry barbs, 5 sterbai cory, 1 brochis splendens, unknown number red cherry shrimp
    16g bow, lightly planted with java moss, java fern. 4swordtail tetra, 1 male betta
    10g 4 pomacea bridgessi, a million cherry shrimp, java moss, windelov fern, anubia, java fern

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    40 neons would look nice.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast