· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default 54 G Bowfront corner tank stock

0 Not allowed!
    Hey All,

I currently have a 36G bowfront that really doesn't fit the space it's in. We decided to keep that tank but wanted to fill a corner in our living room so we bought a 54G corner tank. While I know that corner tanks are not ideal, due to space limitations this was the best we could do.

The dimensions are 39" x 27.4" x 23, and I understand that the 39" isn't exactly true due to the nature of the tank fitting in a corner and being tapered at the back. I will have a 525G canister filter as well as a foam filter.

I am looking for stock options for a single species, colorful, mild mannered fish, that could work in this style of tank. I got duped into buying a Jurupari so that will eventually need to move over to the 54G which I know is still on the small size.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have hard water or soft water? What's the PH (not the same as the hardness of the water)?

Electric blue acara is small enough in there. Also, Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides) would do fine as well. You can then add a schooling species like the green tetra or cardinal tetra with a school of over 10.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Do you have hard water or soft water? What's the PH (not the same as the hardness of the water)?

Electric blue acara is small enough in there. Also, Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides) would do fine as well. You can then add a schooling species like the green tetra or cardinal tetra with a school of over 10.
    Out of the tap its 8.2 and then 8.0 in the tank and the water is hard

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Either one of the cichlids I named will be fine. Our area has ph from 7.8-8.2, and really hard water (22GH) and people can get the EBA to produce fry easily without changing the water.

0 Not allowed!
    Either one of the cichlids I named will be fine. Our area has ph from 7.8-8.2, and really hard water (22GH) and people can get the EBA to produce fry easily without changing the water.
    How many do you suggest?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    it depends what you want to do. Are you trying to attempt to create a cichlid community? Or would you be happy with one bright centerpiece fish, and schooling fish? Do you want to deal with the drama of a breeding pair? heated or unheated tank?

Nice article on the cuckatoo cichlid.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm
    Last edited by Rocksor; 12-22-2016 at 01:34 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    it depends what you want to do. Are you trying to attempt to create a cichlid community? Or would you be happy with one bright centerpiece fish, and schooling fish? Do you want to deal with the drama of a breeding pair? heated or unheated tank?

Nice article on the cuckatoo cichlid.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm
    I would like a community if possible, I really don't want to deal with fry, I don't have the space for another tank to raise them. I like cardinal tetras and would like them in my tank but I want at least two with good color and decent sized. And I run a heater.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    with cichlids it is hit or miss if you can get them to tolerate one another since they require territory. It is best to get all males if possible because adding a female to the mix will make it difficult for the other cichlids.

You could try electric blue acara with a rainbow cichlid, t-bar cichlid. It all depends on their personality.