· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Yes I will be adding a refugium compartment. If anything I was hoping to go a bit elaborate with it as well. Plus a auto top of.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking forward to it oh and take plenty of pics and throw some videos in there lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh dnt worry I will be. Plus bugging you guys silly with questions.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I am starting to prepare now on paper the tank size and sump size.
    Where I am really am stuck is options for the sump, really the entire filtration system as a whole.
    Went to the library the other day, and read all the books on marine tanks. That done started some interesting thinking on google. This was canister filter vs sump.
    As we all know sump people bashed up the canister people. Yet offer sweet stuff all information as to why. So it got me thinking, what dose the AC guys say on it?
    Now when I say this one of the local reef keepers near me has been keeping his tank going over 10 years with canister filtration and AC110 as a semi refuguim, no issue. In saying that though he dose need to do a lot more work. Weekly canister cleaning. And in that he only runs Ceramic noodles and and Chemi pure elite, in the canister.

The next lot of my thinking is actually the plumbing of a marine tank. Personally I love the sump idea. All the stuff is hidden ect. But its finding all the stuff I need in NZ is like finding a winning lotto ticket. What I need is BulkReefSupplies.com to ship to nz. What is the best idea for the intake internal over flow box? The return I understand fairly well. But more the intake from what I understand set's you up for safety system. The maximum the tank can drain, and sump can hold.
    To build the sump that is easy. Tons of parts around, cheap and supper easy. Also return pumps and plumbing simple to deal with and purchase. But a proper looking internal over flow box in nz not simple to find. What do people do here in regard's to this for diy?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Plus bugging you guys silly with questions.

You won't be bugging me at all, I know zilch about SW tanks, but I'll still tag along and learn with you
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    You can drill the tank and add a stand pipe and create a enclosure around it.

Like this for example

standpipe.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    That's the same standpipe system I run called a "durso"

As you are drilling a tank if you fit a weir like above then the water in a power of situation will only ever syphon down to the height of the weir just make sure weir is sealed well to tank.

Emergency overflow as it's called is there incase your durso blocks this is simply a strait pipe that comes up from another hole in the weir section and is cut just above the height of the durso so in the event of durso blocking it will run down that emergency overflow.

On the main feed to sump from durso fit a ball valve this allows for fine tuning of the system to stop bubbling and noise in the sump.

The sump construction is simple look at diagrams online make sure you have a bubble trap before return pump section this will stop micro bubbles.

With regards to plumbing and bulk heads a lot of people use pipe from a builders merchant you must have them over there that sell plastic plumbing parts.

If you have anymore questions fire away if I can answer them I will :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Went down to a plumbing shop and found all the stuff i need pipe wise. Everything from drilling the tank to having a plumbing to go through the hole to seal it ect.
    Costing roughly $100.00 for all the parts, glues and tapes ect.

With that sorted the sump it self I think I see. Dads done a life of Multiple trades. Fitter and turner engineer. [Rare types these days] Plumber. Electrical. And web builder.
    So I am sure between the two of us the fit out is simple. He has check the basic plan over and can't see it going wrong. As long as the pump section is not to large a volume that that it over fills the tank, in case of intake blockage.

I have read re read articles of options in setting it up, hence why I prefer the sump option. But I really like to see all the options. Biggest part would be to see a tank fully done thats not a factory one. But very few people around me have any that are not kits, or run canister filters ect. So mostly google youtube and of course you guys.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast