· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Suggestions for corydoras for tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Hope I'm posting in the right spot. I would like to eventually add a small school of corydoras to my tank but I'm unsure of which type would fit in best with my set up. I have a 60 gallon freshwater column (so dimensions are 24x24x24) with a Marineland penguin 350b filter. Water parameters are: pH= 7.2, Ammonia=0ppm, Nirites= 0ppm, Nirates 5.0ppm, temp = 75 F. Current stock is 6 zebra danios, 6 neon tetras, 1 male kribensis, 1 peacock gudgeon, and 5 kuhlii loaches. I am aware that I need to build up the danios and tetras, I'm just trying not to add too many fish at one time. Those two schools will be bumped up to 10 each before adding any new species, I'd just like to start looking into the corys now if they are a good option. My only concern is having too many fish hanging around the bottom, but I'd like something more active than the loaches.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    There are literally 100's of different species in the corydoras genus but some due prefer cooler temps.

Corydoras aeneus(bronze Cory) is fine at 75° also is probably the easiest to find/cheap at LFS or online.

Also Corydoras sterbai are a good fit and easy to find at LFS or online. Just a little more $ then the aeneus
    Last edited by ApistoJoe; 12-15-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Personally, I would not suggest adding a school of cories. The downfall with this tank is the footprint - 24" X 24". With 5 khulis and the krib, I think you have the bottom covered. That said, I'm sure there are others who have both khulis and cories but I think perhaps with a longer tank. The main issue I would be concerned with is getting enough food to all of them. Perhaps it can be done, but it's not something I would advocate.

I often read of missing cories and/or "unexplained" cory deaths (and I've had a few myself) with no obvious signs of disease. I'm convinced that at least some of these cases may be due to inadequate feeding as opposed to "poor or weak stock". I had 5 duplicareus cories in a 20 long (30"X12"). At about 8-9 months, I lost 2 of them for no obvious reason and having them that long I can't blame it on "poor" stock. The remaining 3 are still going strong and have been there now almost 3 years. I think that 5 was just too many for this tank and 3 is working just fine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Based on your 24" square tank I think C. habrosus, C. hastatus or C. pygmaeus would be great options. The last 2 especially because they will go at all tank levels-not just the bottom of the tank and you could get a nice group if 12 in the tank and they would love being in such nice numbers. They can also do mid 70's temperature.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Corys occasionally need air to breathe, and they do this by darting to the surface for a quick gulp of air.

I would be hesitant to do pygmy corys in a tank that tall, TBH.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-15-2016 at 07:20 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

2 Not allowed!
    Good call Matt, forgot the tank was 24" tall too...my bad. Agree with 24" of water its hard for the little guys, and may be for the bigger ones too.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

4 Not allowed!
    I second Slap's warning. I keep sterbai and albino cories in a 90g, which is 24" tall, but those are large and robust cories that can dart around and reach the surface very quickly. I'm not sure if a tiny pygmy would be able to reach that high of a surface without being stressed.

I personally feel cories need to be kept in large groups. Larger than the suggested minimum of 6. But that is just my own personal feeling after keeping large groups of them. I kept 19 of them in a 55g, which has the same surface area as yours (48x12 = 24x24), and that was alongside half a dozen kuhlis, as well. Everyone got along great, and I had no deaths. I feed multiple high quality wafers and pellets every two or three days, as well as veggies such as zucchini, in my tanks that have cories and other bottom feeders.

Each person's tank and inhabitants are different, though. What works for one person may not work for another. I just wanted to share my own experiences.

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Welcome to the AC.

Corys occasionally need air to breathe, and they do this by darting to the surface for a quick gulp of air.

I would be hesitant to do pygmy corys in a tank that tall, TBH.
    I never got my panda cories to do well when I was a newbie in my 27g hex tank (not even in operation anymore) Despite my air stone, they still started falling over eventually and twirling in circles (corkscrew swimming). Idk if the problem was the height or not though, at 24" my little cories would dart up despite the black phantom tetras and at one time serpea tetras. I was scared to try cories ever since. Especially since my tanks are so tall!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat