· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Best way to move Lg. Synodontis decorus

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, I'm brand new here and still have to check in on the intro page. I have an older synodontis I'm treating & was hoping someone could help. My catfish has an area behind its head where there is no skin which turned out to be some sort of lice. I actually took him to a local vet that deals with fish as well as everything else. He started him on Baytril injections last Saturday which I am to continue 5 more times. I also have to give him a 5 min bath of Neocide-3 for 5 times as well.

I got him in the first dip/bath today which went kind of rough. When I netted him the first time it was ok but when I went to do it today his dorsal spike got stuck in the net. I was able to free him but I've read this can be very painful for catfish & really didn't want to hurt/stress him out any more. The vet mentioned buying some type of bait net with bigger holes (not too big) to keep him from getting stuck. Are there any other alternatives you guys have heard of or have used yourselves? He's over a foot long & can be very difficult to handle.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Did I pull a newbie and post this in the wrong forum?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    No, you posted in a good place...can you maybe move him with your hands?...or would you get finned?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Is it alone in the tank?

I would drain the tank as far as the top fin, setup a barricade in the tank, and use a large enough plastic container to scoop it out.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    No, you posted in a good place...can you maybe move him with your hands?...or would you get finned?
    Great, thank you. I wish I could. I think his pectoral or dorsal spines will get me. I had a terrible time today as he got stuck in the net and it wound up getting twisted around his dorsal barb. I got him back in the tank but I literally had to cut it away with a pair of scissors. What a mess! I also have a smaller litter pan I drilled holes in. I thought I could scoop him up, let it drain, then lower him into the medicated bath. He'll start thrashing around when the water drains out but I thought I could hold him in place with a towel or pad. I'm running out of ideas otherwise.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Is it alone in the tank?

I would drain the tank as far as the top fin, setup a barricade in the tank, and use a large enough plastic container to scoop it out.
    He's in there with one other fish in a 50 gallon. I have to treat him four more times and couldn't drain that much water everyday. I have a spare 10 gal. but he's just too big

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I have fine-mesh nets that are great for catfish and botias. Only drawback is that you can't move them as quickly through the water as regular mesh nets.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    I have fine-mesh nets that are great for catfish and botias. Only drawback is that you can't move them as quickly through the water as regular mesh nets.
    The net I used yesterday that he got stuck in was a regular mesh net. I thought they would get stuck in any type of net but maybe there's a lesser chance in a finer net. There has got to be a better way lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm not familiar with that fish so this may not help. But when my LFS was netting me something - might have been cories - one of them also got stuck in the net. He just let the net rest in the water for a couple of minutes and the fish calmed a bit and got himself out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe