· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Water change ASAP!! %50+

Whats the tank size? What filter and media? Was this tank cycled or are you attempting a fish in cycle??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Johnathan View Post

So I've changed the filter
    Changed? This could be a big reason for the nitrites. You might of removed your nitrifying bacteria.

Also I hope you siphoned out any remaining food from your attempts to feed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Still not clear on tank size, filter or media used!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

0 Not allowed!
    Okay...well, I looked up prolasped anus and saw a couple pics that looked similar to what he had going on. Today the condition looks to have improved a bit. The protrusion is not as pronounced...out there as shown in the pics. I guess thats a good thing. I think I read where it may go away....i hope.

Per the recommendation above...I did do a 1/3rd water change.

Well....if the previous condition may have cleared up....hes now doing something else. I noticed last night that he was making these mouth movements like he was going to cough something up. Also, a couple times he did these jerky movements with his body and darted off a bit.

Keep in mind that at the base of all this...he hasnt eaten for two weeks. I have tried the non med method with bloodworms and Entice flavoring to his pellets...nothing. He ignores them.

Okay, so due to lack of external symptoms/condition aside ...I'm concerned he may have an internal infection going on that caused the eating to stop.

As far as meds go...I have kanaplex, maracyn, maracyn 2, clout and tetracycline. No...the local petco doesnt carry Metro.

Hes currently in his hospital tank. Filter pump is Aqueon Quiet Flow and its bio-bag like filter cartridge. Although Im probably going to switch over to the Tetra Whisper setup, because I dont think the Quiet flow is working to well.

Bottom line is that Im really worried that he is getting worse...and I'm not helping.

Is there someone out there that can send me a list or something that basically says..."Dude...to get your fish better...Do This..."??

Productive help appreciated.

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Hi...

So....now its week two. He still hasnt eaten yet.

I've been doing the every two day water changes. The water looks better. Yes..(in answer to the above question..).I did change out the filter media (Aqueon QuietFlow with bio bag like catridge) . Had to. The other one was past due. Thinking on switching over to Tetra Whisper. In regards to possible internal infection... Havent done the Meds route yet.

The other condition I mentioned above was mentioned to be "possibly prolapsed anus". It has sense maybe cleared up a bit because today the protrusion is not so pronounced.

However...last night I noticed him making these movements with his mouth like he was going to cough something up...AND...also doing this body jerking motions..and then dart off a little.

Bottom line...Im worried he maybe getting worse...and Im not helping. How long till something else needs to be done?

Actually...along those lines...is there someone out there that can send me a list or whatever that says something like..."dude...to get your fish better...Do This !

Productive Help is Appreciated !

Thanks
    Last edited by John_Johnathan; 12-13-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    What are the water parameters in the hospital tank?

It sounds like from information you provided in this thread and the other that you biological filtration is not established or is re-establishing and likely your water parameters are to high. specifically ammonia,nitrites and nitrates.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 12-14-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    first off the PH is too low for that cichlid, what is the PH of your tap water?

0 Not allowed!
    I had his hospital tank water tested last week. It measured
    ammonia = 0 ppm
    nitrite = 3 ppm
    nitrate = 10 ppm
    ph = 7

All other numbers being within acceptable ranges...Someone said the Nitrite @ 3 is to high. I did a filtration adjustment and a 1/3 water change so that number should be lower now.

So...that being said....are you saying that the problems I've described are due to filtration not being established yet?
    ...that hes going to get over these things in week or so when it gets more established?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast